Logo

Engine trouble 43l

97rinker

"engine trouble began with a h

"engine trouble began with a hard start, then to engine not starting. Found no compression in three cylinders. I started to take apart engine and found rocker arms loose. After removing intake manifold I found push rods bent.I am looking for any suggestions on what I should do next and possible causes of the bent rods. The only thing I can think of is that I once ran into low water in the begining of season and engine stalled tried to crank engine while in mud. engine ran ok for about a month or so after that. I did not use the boat very much this season."

"If a valve or two got stuck i

"If a valve or two got stuck in the guide from water ingestion ,that would bend/break pushrods.
were any of the ports in the head rusted looking?"

cylinder head looks clean. eng

cylinder head looks clean. engine oil is clean.someone told me to remove heads and have them checked at a machine shop. I replaced risers on bot engines at the begining of season because risers failed on the port engine and had to replaced engine.

"David...

A quick shot of i

"David...

A quick shot of instant RPM with weak valve springs will bend those push rods. The valves will be hanging down in the cyls. when the piston is coming up. If the springs are weak, they can't pull the valves up fast enough and the pistons will hit them. This will usually bend the valves, but can also bend push rods. I'm not sure if you can get quick enough throttle response out of a boat to do it though.

Also check that timing chain. If it gets too stretched, it will throw valve timing way off and the same thing will happen with valves hanging in the cyls. when they're not supposed to be there. Engine performance would've have been horrible by that point, but check it anyway to rule it out.

Wrench"

"if all 3 low comp cyls one si

"if all 3 low comp cyls one side, I would guarantee water ingestion from failed exhaust manifold/riser or water shutter on that side."

"you might also want to check

"you might also want to check valve guide clearance on that side if there was water in motor.if water was in motor ,guides might have rusted up, and it tried to seize valve to the guides.Most likely ,the problem started as HY STAT stated. turbo man . ROLL TIDE"

Back