Logo

WINTERIZING chris craft 307350 inboard engines

ahatley

"I have just acquired a 34&#39

"I have just acquired a 34' commander, 1951, with dual 305/350 inboards. Since winter is approaching, can you assist me in advice about getting the water out of these engines or adding antifreeze to them. Thanks, Andy}"

"Here's what I do.

For

"Here's what I do.

For raw water cooled motors:

1. Drain the blocks, manifolds and risers. then put the drain plugs back in. (Note: Rod out any openings that don't drain.)

2. Remove the thermostats, pour Pink Stuff (anti-freeze) in until the motor is full. Leave the t-stats out (temporarily) and put the housings back in place.

3. Pour Pink Stuff into (?) something that leads to the raw water pump, be it a strainer or an intake hose. Fire the motor and run it--adding Pink Stuff constantly--until you see it coming out the exhaust. Then put in NEW thermostats in the housings with new gaskets. (Note: All that dirty water running through there makes yearly t-stat replacement a good idea.)

4. Shut down the motor and remove the coil wire from the distributor end. Ground it to the manifold and remove the flame arrestor.

5. While grinding the starter, spray a minimum of ten seconds worth of fogging oil into the primary carb barrels.

6. Replace coil wire and duct tape closed the exhaust pipe (to keep critters out).

7. Optional: Duct tape the flame arrestors to keep moisture out.

For fresh water cooled motors:

1. Drain the manifolds (IF they are raw water cooled) and risers. then put the drain plugs back in.

2. Pour Pink Stuff into (?) something that leads to the raw water pump, be it a strainer or an intake hose. Fire the motor and run it--adding Pink Stuff constantly--until you see it coming out the exhaust.

3. Shut down the motor and remove the coil wire from the distributor end. Ground it to the manifold and remove the flame arrestor.

4. While grinding the starter, spray a minimum of ten seconds worth of fogging oil into the primary carb barrels.

5. Replace coil wire and duct tape closed the exhaust pipe (to keep critters out).

6. Optional: Drain and replace the coolant. If you do, be sure to replace the zinc in the heat exchanger at the same time.

7. Optional: Duct tape the flame arrestors to keep moisture out.

Good luck!

Jeff"

Back