Logo

1988 omc 4cyl replace with a mercruiser 6cyl

K

Keenan Walsh

I purchased a 1988 chris craft

I purchased a 1988 chris craft with a 4cyl omc I/O and i have bought a 1988 browning boat with a 6 cyl mercruiser can i just switch the engine or do I have to switch the outdrive as well? Also I have never changed an engine before should I attempt this??? Thanks for any help.

"It will probably be easier to

"It will probably be easier to swap the whole package. Different gear ratios in the drive 4L and V6, not to mention cables, marinisation equipement etc. The transom cutout is the same."

Thanks for the tip. That's

Thanks for the tip. That's what I'll do. This will be my first ever attempt at something like this so I may need to get more advice. do you think the engine mount from the 4cyl will be the same for the 6cyl??

"No, the 4L has a front mount,

"No, the 4L has a front mount, the 6V has side mounts. You will need to do some glassfiber work!"

"Ok, I think I can handle that

"Ok, I think I can handle that. I can get my measurements from the boat the motor is coming out of right?"

"You will need one 'specia

"You will need one 'special' tool for engine alignment. The old OMC tool fitted both OMC and Mercruiser, the old Mercruiser did not, but I think the new one does. This tool is essential to get the engine mounts right or You would not be able to get the drive on!"

"OK, I wasn't aware of a s

"OK, I wasn't aware of a special tool. Can you please tell me what it is called and where can I get it"

"Check on e-bay, local OMC/Mer

"Check on e-bay, local OMC/Mercruiser dealer.
It is just called 'engine alignment tool' a 'rod' you insert through the transom to be sure the engine alignment is ok."

Hi I have a 1976 17 ft fiberfo

Hi I have a 1976 17 ft fiberform with an omc 120
The motor was cracked in freezing. I bought a mercruiser 120 used and complete with everthing on it. alt maniflod and the exhaust Riser sits too low in the back. Its almost on top of exhaust fitting on the bellhousing with a 1/2" inbetween them. the old riser was turned to the back left corner of boat the mercs is straight back and down to low. Log style exhaust manifold.
Can I put in a spacer under riser or find a riser with same gasket pattern but twisted to the side? what should I do?

Back