Logo

NEED ASSISTANCE VOLVO PENTA DIESAL IN BENETEAU 345 FIRST

saildog

"I have a Beneteau Sailboat, 3

"I have a Beneteau Sailboat, 345 First, with a volvo penta 3 cylinder diesal engine.

I just bought the boat and it has set for a while.
I bled the air out at the top of the fuel filter by loosening the top screw and using the manually pump and finally got it started. It would run a few minutes perfectly and then quit. I would bleed it again and it would run for a few minutes perfectly then quit. I finally got it to run for more than a few minutes but it would try to quit and then catch back up and would continue running normally for about 15 minutes before it would quit.
Anyone have any idea as to what is going on? I can't get it to continue to run without dying.

I put new diesal fuel in it when I bought it.

Thanks for anyones help that you can give."

"Telling us what model engine

"Telling us what model engine might help to get some advice! but it sounds as though you have a joint somewhere that is allowing air to enter the fuel system. Also check that your fuel tank vent is clear. There are probably other bleed points that may need venting apart from the one on the filter.

There is a Beneteau owners Association website at http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk/index.htm which has a forum and links to some engine manuals.

There are more Volvo Penta Manuals at http://www.bluemoment.com/downloads.html

And you should be able to down load owners manual from http://www.volvo.com/volvopenta/na/en-us/marine_leisure_engines/engines/out_of_p roduction_engines/out_of_production_engines.htm"

Thanks for the help. The manu

Thanks for the help. The manual says its a model 2002. I've bled the air now from the injectors and the fuel filter and it still will not run very long.

"Take a separate canister/outb

"Take a separate canister/outboard-tank or similar and hook straight onto the engine. (return onto same tank). An idea is to use a clear plastic hose, made in a loop as return, You may see if air is building up."

"Hi, I have the same motor, ha

"Hi, I have the same motor, had the same problem, after replacing every thing,filters,filter housing, fuel lines, washers on all bleed screws, cleaning the fuel tank, etc,etc, it was a small crack in the lift pump diefram, now runs allday, just great boating
good luck, hope that helps."

Thanks for the help all.

Th

Thanks for the help all.

The boat has only one fuel filter. I'm unsure of its brand.

The lift pump diefram sounds like a possibility. Did you replace it as a last resort or could you ssee the crack in it?

"I was told to remove it, that

"I was told to remove it, that it should make a squeak, if it did, it was all right, not true, I pulled it apart, it was very hard to find anything wrong with it, after the second time I pulled it apart I found it, very small, I was blaming fuel bug in the tank, blocked fuel lines,etc, good luck
Regards
John"

"Thats the problem with the pr

"Thats the problem with the primer filter heads, when they are sat for any length of time they start to perish and eventually fail. Very common in the auto trade also."

Back