Logo

1980 75hp Sea King Outboard Cooling System

dave55

"I recently acquired a Clinton

"I recently acquired a Clinton made 1980 7.5 hp Sea King outboard (model 50576 A). I know its a 1 cylinder engine, but I don't know to much else about it. Can any one tell me if its air or water cooled? It has 6 holes where the pisser would be. It cranks up just fine but only warm moist air comes out the back."

Ok i found out it is air/water

Ok i found out it is air/water blended. Can anyone tell me if there is an indicator to tell you if it is not cooling correctly?

"David, I can only guess that

"David, I can only guess that your motor is cooling ok. If the motor is air cooled, and the leg/exhaust is water cooled, there will only be a small amount of water/exhaust coming out the relief holes. There wouldn't be a telltale stream on that motor. Some people will suggest that you don't need to worry about the leg being cooled properly, but that is not the case. The exhaust being cooled also helps cool the cylinder near the exhaust. If you are unsure, and the impeller hasn't been changed in a few years, change it.

Taylor, you should have created a new thread, or posted under a similar "Gamefisher overheating" thread (or something along that line). I'm sure the admins will forgive you since you are new to this forum :)
Are you positive the motor is getting hot? If it is hard to pull over when it shuts off, then it likely is. That motor also has an air cooled engine and water cooled leg (so it does match this post a bit) and will overheat a bit if the impeller isn't doing it's job. More likely it would be due to an inadequate fuel/oil mixture, or possibly using the wrong oil. Also note that I'm assuming you have a late 60's to mid 80's Gamefisher that has an air-cooled Tecumseh engine. Post the model number (it will start with 217 if it's what I think it is). The older models of this motor used 16:1 fuel/oil, and the newest ones called for 50:1, so there is a huge difference in oiling requirements."

Back