Logo

Water in the bilge OMC Cobra

dmc

I finally got the boat in the

I finally got the boat in the water after 1 1/2 years of working on the repowing project.
I noticed more water coming in than I remember. When I got back on the trailer I noticed water leaking out from the bottom of the Transom Gimbal Housing (the part of the outdrive that attaches to the transom). Is there a seal there at that interface ?? It looks like it might simply be caulked. Any ideas?
thanks

"Ayuh,...

That would Usuall

"Ayuh,...

That would Usually indicate a Rotten Transom...

Are you sure it's not the bellows, or exhaust downpipe,..??"

Thanks for the reply
I guess

Thanks for the reply
I guess I dont understand the attachment and how the housing seals out water against the bqack of the boat. I couldnt find a picture of it. Is there a gasket of some type there against the transom?? The answer to your question is no I dont know if its the bellow or exhaust. How do I know if its the bellows?
thnaks

"Remove the drive and look in

"Remove the drive and look in the drive bellows, it's the upper one and should have no water in it, if you do you may have other problems as well like a bad gimbal bearing and rusty u-joints. The exhaust bellows (lower one) won't cause this, it can even be missing. As Bondo indicated though I would seriously consider a bad transom which will mean pulling the engine and removing the inside and outside parts of the transom mount."

WOW step one pull outdrive? W

WOW step one pull outdrive? Why is that always the first step. yikes
Can you tell me how the transom gimble housing serals and keeps water out. Is there a gasket seal? It looks like there is some type of caulking. Anyone have a picture/diagram of how it works.

"Looking at this blowup item #

"Looking at this blowup item # 66 is the seal between the transom mount and the outside of the boat transom.

220797.gif
"

Thanks again
So what is the p

Thanks again
So what is the procedure for replacement of the transom seal? I searched the forum and couldnt find the steps. I have a 91 4.3L Cobra
Can the the upper bellow be inspected for water with the drive on?

"[b]"So what is the proced

""So what is the procedure for replacement of the transom seal?"

Ayuh,....

Remove the Outdrive,...

Remove the motor,...

Remove the inner,+ outer transom pieces,...

Replace the Seal,...

Probably replace the boat's wood in it's Transom,...

Reinstall everything in reverse order....

"Can the the upper bellow be inspected for water with the drive on?"

Nope..."

"DMC...although there is a lot

"DMC...although there is a lot of very helpful people on this board I would strongly recommend you pick up a manual for your engine if you are going to attempt this work. My personal preference would be OMC factory manual, Seloc and then Clymers (in that order) you can quite often find the original OMC's on ebay (the best in my opinion). If yours is truly a 91 then you want a book that says it's for RGD or RGF models. If you do any of this I also recommend you buy, borrow, rent an alignment tool to check the alignment because you don't want to have to haul the engine out again to replace the coupler because of bad alignment."

Back