Logo

43 ESA question

"Which switch is it, the one w

"Which switch is it, the one with the arm or the one with the little button? The problem with running without the switch basically means you are running without the ESA which will make it harder to go from fwd or rev into neutral and you may end up doing damage to the lower unit gears. Based on your (very short) description it sounds like the ESA is being activated and disconnecting the switch is just killing the ESA not really fixing it. You really need to determine what the problem (could be the switch or ???)"

Good question. I was thinking

Good question. I was thinking there was only 1-. It has 2-wires and 2-connectors that ride a swivel or pivet washer and get pushed into the termanels.

"Also I was having an issue wi

"Also I was having an issue with going into any gear. For,Rev or neutral with the esa connected. Just undid the joint today and it worked like a charm..."

"Looking at the diagram below

"Looking at the diagram below the switch in the yellow circle is the interrupt switch, you can see the arm sit in the middle of the v-shape notch. Both switch wires feed through into a 4 pin connector.

220723.jpg
"

I just remade the connection a

I just remade the connection and with the engine at 6000RPM I pushed the switch arm in and the engine will shut down. Can you adjust the switch or is it somthing else?

6000 rpm? I hope you mean 600.

6000 rpm? I hope you mean 600.
sounds like you need a new lower shift cable.

"Like Hy Stat says (hope y

"Like Hy Stat says (hope you meant 600 rpm)
The ESA will not shut down a tuned, good running engine unless it's defective. Under normal operation is pulses the negative side of the coil casuing the engine to stumble and lose some RPM. If yours were defective it could be grounding out the coil instead of pulsing it. which would cause the engine to stall pretty quick."

Sorry. yes 600RPM's. So wh

Sorry. yes 600RPM's. So what shold I try 1st the ESA or the lower shift cable? Can I run any test to see if it is the lower shift cable?

"I believe you have just done

"I believe you have just done the basic test. Normally have the engine running in neutral at idle speed, lift up the arm on the interrupter switch (in yellow circle above) this should cause the ESA to pulse the coil and the engine will run rough and drop some rpm but it shouldn't stall. If you can't get past this point in the test don't even worry about the lower shift cable as your not even using it at this point. Are you sure the engine is running fine on all 6 cylinders, timing set correct, points OK? If everything else ignition related is fine then it looks like you could have a bad ESA."

"Wally...I'm not sure why

"Wally...I'm not sure why you would want to change the switch, sounds like the switch is working since it does activate the ESA."

I am looking for some expert a

I am looking for some expert advise on a problem I been notising recently on both engines. When the RPMs are between 1500 to 2000 they dont run as smooth as lower or higher RPMs. I did some modifications and adjustments but I have not been succesful.
Any suggestions or experience in similar problems? Thanks

Captian Peter...you really sho

Captian Peter...you really should start a new thread for your issue as it doesn't sound related to Wally's.

What size and year are the engines and what modifications have you done?

OK just got the boat out of th

OK just got the boat out of the boatwrench. My omc shop. The switch is good. The 3- month old gas had a lot of water in it and the lower shift cable needs to be replaced. Any tips. They want to charge me 4.5 hours of labor. I also had the carb rebuilt. Running strong now. It just does not get in gear fast enough.

"Hello bob going back to your

"Hello bob going back to your question. I got two GMC 4.3 litre 4 barrel Rochester carbs 1989 ign type Prestolite. Work done to isolate the problem, changed points to electronic. one carburator rebuilt, retime the engines, to 6 btdc, fuel used unknown oktane grade some say 86 others 89, I tried to retard to 1 btdc as for as for 86 grade , I didnot notice any change. Plugs been checked, all ok Distributer caps and wires been changed recently. I am wondering if its possible its electrical or mechanical, and if it's mechanical which site should I be in thanks in advance for your directions ."

"Wally...if the lower shift ca

"Wally...if the lower shift cable needs to be replaced then you only have 2 choices, have them do it or take it on yourself. To do it yourself you definitely need an OMC manual, lots of patience and probably a buddy (with a beer fridge)
biggrin.gif
"

"Peter....I would put the timi

"Peter....I would put the timing back to 6BTDC but I would also have a look in the distributor under the points plate at the timing advance mechanism which is basically some weights and springs, these can rust up and cause problems or worse yet maybe even a broken spring? While watching the timing light at idle, rev the engine up, does the timing mark advance?"

"Hello bob.....I haven't o

"Hello bob.....I haven't opened the distributor, but when I checked the timing and reved the engine the timing did advance. The funny thing is that both engines are doing the same."

common to both engines says fu

common to both engines says fuel system. suspect the Anti siphon valve at the fuel tank line connection.

The only thing about the anti-

The only thing about the anti-syphon valve that bothers me is why it clears up above 2000 RPM's? Not sure how your fuel lines are plumbed but I have 2 anti-syphons on my tank and each one feeds one engine. I know it's happening on both engines but I would still check the timing weights and springs just incase there is a sticky spot but when the RPM's increase the centrifigal force is enough to get past it? I know I'm really reaching here but this trying to help without being there is tough most times.

Back