Logo

OMC IGNITION

cmoore

Im trying to change from point

Im trying to change from points to ele. ignition in a 1989 4.3omc and I was wondering if you can use a reagular 4.3 distriber.

ALSO USE SAME CAP AND COIL OR

ALSO USE SAME CAP AND COIL OR DOES THIS BYPASS THE COIL. SORRY DONT MEAN TO SOUND DUMB JUST BEEN HAVEING ALOT OF TROUBLE IN THIS AREA NO ONE WANTS TO HELP JUST SELL YOU A NEW BOAT OR ALOT THINGS YOU DONT NEED. THANKS!

"Yep...if you go to that link

"Yep...if you go to that link above you'll see it still uses the same cap and coil, you can always upgrade the coil if you want but it's not necessary. You may have to so a little bit of rewiring as the regular ignition circuit requires a resistor wire to knock the voltage down to the coil but most of the electronic ones require the full 12v. It's minor change to make (if required) as it depends on the unit itself."

"For those of you knowlegable

"For those of you knowlegable about power steerings. When the engine is idling and in gear when I start turning the steering wheel. I do get some gitters at times. It is ok when I go faster. Iam not too sure when the power assist kiks in ,what speed the engine should be idling at? Engine 4.3 litre GMC. Power steering is pushing two out drives."

"Hi Christopher, If you still

"Hi Christopher, If you still wondering about changing the points to elec. go for it. I changed on both my engines few years back.and it was fairly simple to change. The only pain in the butt was.My kit did not come with diodes and resisters, and radio shack didn't carry them. But I managed to get them at an electronic store.Good luck"

Back