Logo

Horsepower ratings

K

Kirk Spradling

" Hi,

Is there any differen

" Hi,

Is there any difference in the horsepower ratings on newer outboards vs older ones? I know the auto makers changed ratings in the 70s and am wondering if something similar happened in the marine world. I'm asking because I have an older (1970) 135hp outboard that is larger than the maximum for the boat I want to put it on. It also seems these older ones are a bit lighter as well.

Thanks for any and all help on this question!

Kirk "

"Kirk.... I can only speak for

"Kirk.... I can only speak for the Evinrude & Johnson outboards. I can remember as far back as the early 1960s and it seemed like in every advertisement and video that OMC put out, they made a major effort to get the point across that their outboard horsepower ratings were measured at the propeller, not at the powerhead. OMC never deviated from this type of horsepower measurement. This was in effect, to give the needle to Mercury who at that time (to my knowledge) measured their horsepower at the powerhead.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC)"

Would like oppinions on 200 Y

Would like oppinions on 200 Yamaha 4 stroke vs 2 stroke. I need a new motor. Any experiences wuould be appreciated.

Fred

Back