Logo

2003 BF225A Sputtering

piraya33

Hello all. I am new to the for

Hello all. I am new to the forum. I have a 2003 Honda BF225A and I am having a sputtering problem where the engine sputters after getting up on plane and then it shuts off if I don't back down on the throttle quick enough. I searched the forum and found that I should replace the VST Screen. I went on boats.net and I found the following parts:

Fuel Filter - 16900-ZY3-003
Fuel Filter - 16911-ZY3-003
Honda Screen - 16911-ZY3-000

Are these the parts that I should be ordering? Is it ok to replace all of these filters at once? I am also going to change the fuel filters on the boat too. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get my problem fixed so I can get back out on the water!

"depending on age of boat, I w

"depending on age of boat, I would go to the pickup tube in the tank. The screen in there can get clogged up over time. generally coincides with deflated primer bulb."

"that's not a very old boa

"that's not a very old boat, but as you troubleshoot fuel issues the pickup tube in the tank is the start/end of the line. there is an access hatch on the boat maybe under the center console. there you will see the flex line that enters the tank at a brass fitting. unhook the flex line then unscrew carefully the brass fitting. pull tube up out of the tank and visually inspect/clean. reinstall with pipe dope. this is a bit of a pain in the .. it's ok to do this last."

What does cleaning the VST con

What does cleaning the VST consist of? Is it just loosening the screw for the overflow tube and draining it or do I need to take the VST apart?

"I'm new to this forum as

"I'm new to this forum as well, and have also had the same problem at higher RPM (5000+)I'll try that advice too. Thanks.
I have another problem you may be familier with..I have a knocking in the Gearcase about mid way down. Putting my ear to the engine heads or the lower unit, I don't hear it only mid way down. Am I looking at a bearing problem?"

"Change the gear lube and care

"Change the gear lube and carefully check the amount of metal particals on the magnetic drain plug. If larger than talcum powder, you may have a serious problem. Does this motor have an extension? If so, there have been several reported problems with the main drive shaft bearing. Check with Mike, the Honda Dude, for the number of the service bulletin on that problem."

Only Service Bulletin that I c

Only Service Bulletin that I can find regarding gear cases on the 225 applies only to gear cases in the first two years of production (2002 and 2003) It addresses prop shaft thrust clearance.

I have not seen any 225 gearcase issues myself even with the Coast Guard units in our area.

The guys along the coast probably have more experience with this one.

"I may have been mistaken on t

"I may have been mistaken on the service bulletin. Many months ago several folks on this site were complaining about their main shaft bearing failing and actually eating through the casing. I think all of them had extensions on the motor. I thought someone said there was a Honda sevice bulletin on that issue, but cannot find one.

But back to your original problem - knocking in the gear case. Does this occur while engine is in neutral, forward and reverse, or just one position. Does it happen under power, or just at idle? That makes a big difference on where you start to look. If only in forward or only in reverse, at idle, then the first thing I would do is make sure your gear shift linkage is set correctly and fully engaged. Partial engagement causes a noticable knock in the gear case. If it knocks under power and increases in frequency as engine revs up, then I would suspect the main shaft bearing or bushings."

"Mike, Neal, I have checked ev

"Mike, Neal, I have checked everything and found some fine filings in the lower unit and change the oil. Knocking was still there. Pulled lower unit and ran the engine, everything was smooth and quiet. What do you think is a reasonable price for rebuilding the lower unit? I know more damage the more the cost, but one Honda place told me between $1200 & $1500. Another place says $300 to $500, that's to large a difference between them. Sounds like someone trying to take advantage. Thanks."

"It depends on how they are de

"It depends on how they are defining rebuild...

No one can accurately quote something like this over the phone. A total rebuild would replace all the gears, bearings, and seals as well as water pump. The parts alone for this would be almost $1000.

The $300 - $500 quote sounds closer to a reseal, water pump and maybe a couple of other parts.

If we were quoting over the phone, I would be quoting on the high side. If it turns out that everything is not needed, then it will cost less and the customer is happy.

If there is metal throughout the drive, everything in the drive is compromised. ]

The higher quote may be more accurate is you want a favorable outcome."

"Agree with Mike - $300 - $500

"Agree with Mike - $300 - $500 is too low for a proper diagnosis and repair.

However, if the "filings" you found in the lower unit oil are a small amount, and no bigger than fine sugar, then that is normal for the first few lower unit oil changes in that engine."

Back