Logo

Broken connecting rod

I have a 200hp 1993 yamaha out

I have a 200hp 1993 yamaha outboard. i think the connecting rod snapped. heard a loud bang and the engine seized to a halt. i can turn the motor over with a wrench but when it reaches a certain position it locks up. I need to know if its a difficult fix in water and why this might have happened. Boat wasnt overheating and it was getting oil as far as I know. thanks

"You're most likely lookin

"You're most likely looking at a major overhaul, a complete tear down of the engine. However, remove the lower unit to determine whether the lock up is in the lower unit or the powerhead. From what you've said, I would assume a powerhead failure."

oh well you cant really do it

oh well you cant really do it in the water if thats what your id get as much off the powerhead as possible ignition carbs etc. umm if the bolts are all out i get a forklift or some other hoist device put some upward force on and try wiggling it back and forth if the bolts arent out then start heating either that or take it to a dealer or pro usaully helps to have two guys

well i've got a engine pic

well i've got a engine pick for the lifting. waiting for a good high tide to give it a try with that though. that way i can back the boat up to the bulkhead. i'll let you know how i made out. thanks

Back