Logo

Yamaha 8 hp wonbt stay running

bobsdad

"My 1991 8 hp 2 stroke will st

"My 1991 8 hp 2 stroke will start but won't stay running at the idle speed or up to the start speed. It will stay running in gear at higher RPM's. When stated with choke out it runs for about 5 sec at which time I push the choke in and it will stay running for about another 5 - 8 sec at which time I will pull the choke out to keep running. In other words I am constantly either pulling or pushing the choke to keep it running. Anyone have any ideas about why this is happening? Plugs good, gas/mixture good.

Thanks"

dirty carb probaly take it apa

dirty carb probaly take it apart remove every jet and clean all the passages with spray carb cleaner and follow that with compressed air id buy a carb kit too

"My 8hp was doing exactly the

"My 8hp was doing exactly the same thing. I removed the carb & the fuel bowl. The idle circuit jet is in there. It has a rubber plug over it, I removed the plug & found dirt in the hole where the idle jet is."

"Be careful when you use the s

"Be careful when you use the spray carb cleaner. I used a can of Gumout to clean the carb on my 9.9. It cleaned off the gum and varnish beautifully, and the little red hose made it easy to blow out the jets, etc. But the cleaner fluid also destroyed the rubber o-rings (makes then hard, and crumbly), and swelled the gasket. Also swelled the nylon or plastic bushings that the choke shaft rotates on, which made that difficult to turn."

Back