Logo

Battery

boatin_bob

Advanced Contributor
"Oakville???? Didn't reali

"Oakville???? Didn't realize you were a fellow Canuck also from Ontario too?

Maybe your starter is showing it's age, when cranking that long it's going to get very hot, maybe a fresh rebuild will help."

I do beleive your right. It&#3

I do beleive your right. It's time for a almost new rebuild. It did get a bit warm. It was me that got HOT. And yes I from Hornby thats near Milton.

yes I put the lub on the cam b

yes I put the lub on the cam but it looked like someone had put loctit on the small screw that holds the setting on the points. This boat is still new to me. First time for a tuneup I got the boat in the spring. and the guy that owened it before me said that it had been tuened up last fall when it was parked. Thats all he said that was true. Live and learn.

A deep cycle battery isn't

A deep cycle battery isn't really designed for starting use. It's designed to be discharged slowly and steadily such as trolling motor or "house battery" use. It's not designed to supply the high current pulse needed to start an engine.

A starting battery is the opposite. It's designed for a high current discharge to start the engine followed by a quick recharge from the alternator. Repeated slow steady discharge can damage the plates because the elements won't necessarily be deposited in the same place during charging as they reacted away from during the discharge. Eventually microscopic tentacles on the plates touch each other. This results in a million tiny internal short circuits that discharge the battery.

"You should clean all your con

"You should clean all your connections.

follow the neg cable off the battery to the ground.

Clean that good could be the cause of your battery premature death.

I would clean all the connections but the one on the starter are very important.

You have a slav solenoid, you know those connections also, and the solenoid base is a ground take it off and clean where it mounts shiny and the botttom of the base."

Back