Logo

351w OMC 800

oilslik

Contributing Member
"Well,
Since you all have be

"Well,
Since you all have been so much help over the past year, I thought I owed you an update. So, me and Gator took the big Stamas out for the first time since my upgades. We headed out 8 miles to the breakers at the mouth of the channel. Starting out on the river she didnt want to run right so we took it easy at idle just getting a feel for the boat. The chop started to pick up in the bay. The boat handled it well, however I put it up on plane for the last mile to the breakers. By then the chop was 5-6' and the vessel ran solid as a rock on plane. Steering was firm and good. The 351w is a tired dog but will run wide open. Thats when we noticed the fuel running out of the bowl. I throttled down to idle and coasted a second before throttling up to 1200 rpms. Where the engine cut out. By then we were at the breakers so we sat and fished for a couple hours.

We got it cranked again and headed inland because there was a front coming in. Ended up going up the wrong channel and the engine died again when I throttled up to 1200. Dropped anchor and fished again for 2 hours. By now I had taken the jerry wire off the carb which I think was causing the bowl to stick wide open. Got it cranked again and continued up the channel hoping it came out on the main channel. Which it did not. I pulled a 3 point turn in a 24' boat in a 26' wide channel and pulled back up river. The boat throttled strong in such a small channel. The draft behind the boat was at least 4-5' deep. Which caused it to seem as though the water intake was sucking air an on sharper turns due to the draft behind the boat. Its almost as if the prop is getting exposed as well. The big Stamas was eating this channel alive and Gator started getting nervous.

However, the 351w stayed lit long enough to get us in the main channel. After planing for about a mile we came up to a shrimp boat and it was now dark so I throttled down to idle and turned the nav lights on. During a few high fives I throttled up to 1200. You guessed it, dead in the water (DIW). It was now going on 10 hours at sea and we decided to get seatow involved (Gator had a membership from three years ago he never activated) since the battery's are now dead as well. And now our cell phones were dying. We got it cranked again and headed for home WOT with CPT John from SeaTow alongside for another 4 miles. Once we hit the dock it was a downpour and pitch black. You know I may have another mechanical question sometime soon. And oh yes the fishing was outstanding.
"

Back