Logo

2008 Yamaha F40TLR 4stroke headache

gary13

"Engine has 6 hours on it when

"Engine has 6 hours on it when without warning it dropped from about 3/4 throttle to barely above idle speed, then completely cut off. Restarted after about 5 minutes but would not run above idle speed. Dealer cleaned carbs but now it idles rough and surges badly at all speeds above idle. Has new inline fuel filter, Racor 10micron fuel/water separator filter, fresh fuel in a clean tank, spark plugs new and gapped correctly, and primer bulb pumps up firm. Would welcome and ideas about problem."

"Let me add that there is now

"Let me add that there is now a flat spot on acceleration that if you hit it just right, engine dies."

"I have similar problems with

"I have similar problems with my 2007 Yamaha F40TRL 4 Stroke, but you won't like what I have to tell you.

My engine would not even run the day of delivery; the carburetors had to be cleaned before it would take power. Unfortunately they don't give out the repair records on warranty repairs so you're never sure what they did. But that was the good part of the story.

As of mid Sept. 2008, the engine has had the carbouretor stack overhauled and cleaned three times without success by a factoryb authorized dealer all under the direction of the Yamaha Factory. Finally they replaced the carburators completely, but not under warranty which would imply a defect in the engine and/or its design. The factory reimbursed the dealer under "Good Will". Yamaha paid $3400 against $3900+ of total bills claiming "fuel" problems. The fact that the carburetors were not repairable or cleanable means nothing to the company. During the multi month repair cycle, a top Yamaha field rep told my authorized dealer that the Yamaha 40Hp is a "PICKY" engine.

After many unsucessful discusions with Yamaha Customer Service reps (Jeff and Jon),I wrote a letter to the President of Yamaha, detailing with repair records what had gone on over less than a year, but Yamaha would not deliver my concerns to any higher authority than Customer Sevice Reps "Jeff and Jon". In other words if you have a problem with Yamaha's Customer Service, Yamama says customer Service will evaluate your complaint. I had request 1) a refund, 2)a new engine, or 3) at least an extended warranty. To direct questions Jon refused any such consideration and refused to send my complaint to a higher level.

I also contacted BoatUs, based on their claims of interceding with a company on behalf of boater complaints. They (Debbie) did not respond positively, but just said that companies are not even required to give waranties, much less extend them. To the best of my knowledge she did not even contact the company.

Since then my dealer told me that a similar problem has been observed on anothetr Yamaha 40 HP 4 Stroke engine.

Best of luck to you!
."

"John, thanks for the feedback

"John, thanks for the feedback. The "Super-Tech" from Yamaha "cleaned" the carbs 2 times after the shop mech "cleaned" them 3 times. He finally gave up and told the shop he was sending 3 new carbs, and it only took 3 months to decide this. After the whole 'bad fuel' thing I had drained the tank and told them I wanted them to put in it whatever they wanted to test it with. Guess what????? The fuel they purchased did the SAME THING! I spent more years twisting wrenches than they had lived so far so I can't be 'pacified' with excuses. Now that the engine companies have that mean, nasty 'ethanol' monster to blame they will try everything to avoid warranty work and the only way we as boat owners will survive their rip-off attempts is to stick together, share knowledge, understand the workings of the engines and the effects of different fuels, and not be afraid to hold their feet to the fire. Thanks to everyone that replied. Hopefully when my new carbs are installed (yes, I WILL know if they are new ones or not) my beast will finally roar like it should."

"Gary,
Have you worked only t

"Gary,
Have you worked only through the dealer or have you contacted Yamaha as I did? Also, how much have you paid or did they cover all of the cleanings. If you got the same crap I did from Customer Service it would perhaps help our cause via BoatUS. I really feel that the minimum they should do is extend the warranty, but I think the boating puplic should be aware of this pathetic company."

"John
I worked through the de

"John
I worked through the dealer AND contacted Yamaha. I paid for the first cleaning, Yamaha reimbursed the dealer for subsequent cleanings. Cuatomer support at Yamaha contacted me after I wrote them a letter. I really can't complain about the dealership or Yamaha customer service except to the point that this engine is now 6 months old and still not right. Should have been handled before I lost my entire summer and the fishing tournaments. Waiting to see what the new carbs do and will let you know when the Christmas Miracle happens. It would be nice if they extended the 'warranty' voluntarily but I really don't expect that to happen. As soon as I can find a service manual for this engine, I won't be concerning myself with the warranty anyway. Maybe Just-in-Time can point me in the right direction for the manual. Again, thanks for your input."

"Picked up boat from dealer ag

"Picked up boat from dealer again. Have 3 new carbs on it and I am anxious to see what it does now. On 12/16 I will find out (if the wind and rain ever let up) because the Yamaha Super-Tech wants to go for a ride. Wish us luck
rain.gif
"

"The word that comes to mind i

"The word that comes to mind is...FINALLY!!!
Yamaha replaced the carbs and although I have only had it out twice, it performed like it should. Although it took 6 months to get the problem solved, I still appreciate all the help from the folks on this site, Yamaha, and my dealer.
I can't help but to think of the 'old days(1990s)' when they made engines that refused to die. I guess all the fuel efficiency and emissions standards, coupled with the poor excuses for fuel we are forced to put up with has stuck us with "maybe it will...maybe it won't' engines. Not a comforting thought if you boat like me and go places seldom frequented by other boaters. That said, thank you again for all the help...maybe I can help someone with their problem in return some day."

"Hey, what's the "old

"Hey, what's the "old days" stuff. My NEWEST motor is a 91, does that make my other 4 motors "ancient"?

P.S. Move to Canada - we don't have EPA up here - you can still buy a pollution spewing 2 stroke at any dealer....

Glad you got your issues sorted out
"

"Graham
I don't know abou

"Graham
I don't know about 'ancient' but evidently the word 'dependable' comes into play, something you can't get much of now
happy.gif
"

Happy Holidays. I need a new

Happy Holidays. I need a new outboard for my 14' Sylvan and have been thinking about a 40 hp Yam. Some of the posts have me a little concerned about Yam. quality. Could anyone give me a ballpark price for a complete install. Need controls to prop. Can I dicker with motor dealer?
Thanks for any advice. This will be my first NEW motor purchase. Bob

"Bob, assume you are talking a

"Bob, assume you are talking about a 4 stroke model?

The prices I will quote are "advertised" and not msrp which will be higher. Not carved in stone but would give you an idea...

You could expect to pay about 4k for the motor with a bit of haggle room if you also buy the controls and have it installed/rigged by the dealer.

A new side control (Yami branded) will set you back about 350 bucks, plus the cables (30 bucks a piece or so - two required).

The prop can run from just over a hundred bucks to several hundred depending on what exactly you want - anything from composite, to aluminum, to stainless is available in 3 or 4 blade, cupped or not..

I do alot of rigging and if the dealer knows what they are talking about, you can figure out what prop will best fit your particular application. How you use the boat dictates which prop you should have.

Then you can count on about 250 bucks for the install - that's about the going rate plus or minus a bit.

All in, you can figure a little under 5K.

If you are open to looking at other mfg's, (bite my tongue I'm a Merc guy)
- I would really suggest that you check out Tohatsu's Direct Injected TLDI 40 horse 2 stroke. It's just as quiet and just as clean as any 4 stroke out there (and CARB rated so the EPA is happy with it too), weighs a little less - but in terms of fuel efficiency and overall "power", will kick the snot out of any 4 stroke on the market (of compatable horsepower) and the annual maintenance is significantly less. Cost would be about the same as outlined above - something to investigate/consider.

Evinrude's ETEC 40 would also be a candidate, but personally I don't like the high pressure injection system (the same as Yami's in their higher horsepower direct injected motors) - but may be a viable option.

If you are looking strictly at 4 strokes, I would go with Honda, even if it costs you a few more bucks. They do have issues with discontinuing models (and the parts along with it), but most guys, unless extremely biased, will admit that Honda probably builds the best 4 strokes on the market for all round durability and reliability..."

"Bob,
The only thing worse th

"Bob,
The only thing worse than a 40HP, 4 stroke Yamaha is the Yamaha company and its customer service department. Make me an offer on my 2007 with less tha 50 hours on it and I will seriously consider it. (It has new carburetors with less than 10 hours, and was working fine when last run before winter storing).
Completel installed on my 13 ft Whaler was $6695 including taxes in June 2007."

Back