Logo

Frozen engine

belizediversity

My DD 671T has not been starte

My DD 671T has not been started for about 3 years. I managed to turn the engine slightly with a pry bar on the teeth of the starter ring on the flywheel (carefully!). But the starter will not turn it over.

I am going to replace the cables from the battery to the starter and it could be that the starter is bad but I suspect the engine is frozen after such a long time of no use.

What I would like to do is try to turn the engine over with no compression. Is this possible? I had thought of removing all the injectors.

Any tips or tricks to help out?

"YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE AIR BO

"YOU NEED TO REMOVE THE AIR BOX COVERS AND ISPECT PISTON AND LINERS FOR RUST,IF OK THEN SQUIRT OIL AROUND PISTON.YOU CAN REMOVE INJS. TRY TO GET WRENCH ON FRON C/S BOLT TO TRUNE ENGIN."

"If rust is an issue, you coul

"If rust is an issue, you could also try "pickling" the engine. I have done it in the past with pretty good success. Pull the injectors, and pour diesel on top of the pistons in the cylinders where the piston is above the air box ports in the liner. Let it sit for a few days, the roll the engine over (if you can) and fill the cylinders that you haven't gotten to because of piston position. Let it sit for a few days, then roll the engine over and take an air hose and blow the diesel off of the tops of each piston through the inspection covers. If it rolls over more easily, be sure to change your oil and filter before you try to fire it up.

Marvin is right, you should try to turn it over from the front crankshaft bolt. Or put a pipe wrench just behind the balancer."

Back