Logo

Cobra OMC

titanwgn

When I put my boat in the wate

When I put my boat in the water is satrts to act up. The RPM guage will spike and the engine will keep shutting down. Is this a ground issue or a voltage reg issue?

1987 cobra omc 4.3 on 205 spor

1987 cobra omc 4.3 on 205 sportcraft. It does have points and the coil gets very hot after running. But it will run for hours on a hose at the house. It only will act up when I put in in the water or a drum..

"the coil and points is what o

"the coil and points is what operates the tach. so glad you mentioned hot coil. I can't make a connection to the water vs. hose thing, but definitely check the ignition wiring. Resistance wire feeding coil should drop voltage to the + of the coil to about 9.5V or so. If it's getting full 12V at run, something wrong there.
Is the engine shutting down related to trying to shift into gear at all?"

No. I can get it to go into ge

No. I can get it to go into gear between the shutting down. How hot should a coil get? You would not be able to hold it in your hand after running it.

it shouldn't get hot at al

it shouldn't get hot at all. They rarely lasy 21 years the way OMC mounted them to the vibrating engine block so pretty safe bet

WOW you are great. I did repla

WOW you are great. I did replace the coil over a month ago. It was a wire from the + side that was shot. Nothing in the center of the rubber for 2" cut it back and now it much better. The only thing now is it wants to suht down going in to forward ar reverse...

Back