Logo

76 Johnson 135hp Bogs Down

D

Douglas Spooner

" 76 Johnson 135hp
Motor runs

" 76 Johnson 135hp
Motor runs great and I keep it well maintained. I just had the Carbs rebuilt. Compression hot is 145-150 Lbs on all 4. Compression Cold is 160-165 Lbs. When its been running about 1/2hr and then I stop and take off again, the engine bogs down when trying to excelerate around 1200 to 1500 RPM's. If I hit the choke switch it will pick up or once I get past that point on the throtel it takes off just fine, but will cut out if I push the throutle up at a steady pace. If I run the boat at at about 3000 rpms for about 30 secounds and then stop and hit the gas again the problem is not as bad. The Johnson dealer says it just because the engine is "Tired" and does not have enough suction to pull the gas in fast enough. What do you think? Should I replace the Rings and hone the cylinders? If so do you have the kit or am I barking up the wrong tree. Thanks Doug "

" If your compression readings

" If your compression readings were as you stated, why would you be told the motor is wore out? It sounds to me that you either have a blockage in your secondary circuits of your carbs or your fuel pump is weak. I have never heard or seen in the 15 yrs I have been working on outboards, that because your motor is "tired" that you don't have enough pressure to operate the fuel pump. How long after the carbs were rebuilt did this occur or was it happening before? "

" Doug,

I would say that si

" Doug,

I would say that since the engine does run well you don't need a ring job. I would first try richening the fuel mixture since choking seems to help. Next I would check the throttle pick-up. If the throttle opens too soon or too late it causes the engine to bog down. "

Back