Logo

1990 king cobra no reverse

OK what happened is it was wor

OK what happened is it was working fine. I put it in the water and while coming in to dock I went from forward to reverse and that was it no reverse any more. goes into forward and nuetral but not reverse . What is wrong????

need the model number. There w

need the model number. There were 2 distinct versions of a drive OMC called the King Cobra and they shift differently

"ok - that is the standard Cob

"ok - that is the standard Cobra drive for a 5.0 - they called it King Cobra as a marketing thing, but it a dog clutch shift drive.
You can read about the lower shift cable issues here:
www.hastings.org/~stuart/cobra"

Are You saying its a cable iss

Are You saying its a cable issue ? That when I thew it from forwared to reverse it screwed up a cable? reverse worked before.

"the boat goes into forward an

"the boat goes into forward and nuetral,when i put it into reverse the engine tries to die and the propeller will not turn"

I would remove the drive and t

I would remove the drive and try putting it into gear (for and rev) using the shift rod and turn either the prop or the input shaft to see if you get the same results.

"Just in case it is the shift

"Just in case it is the shift cable from engine to drive,does anyone know the part # ? Engine 5.0 1990 omc cobra drive"

"Yes...you would remove the en

"Yes...you would remove the entire drive as one piece, remove the nuts holding trim ram shaft in and then the 6 nuts holding the entire unit on, slowly pull back. Pick up a new gasket set from a dealer (approx $10).

The OMC PN for the lower shift cable is 986654 and is $175 on the BRP site."

Oh boy what i found ! the univ

Oh boy what i found ! the universals need grease bad. The cable seems to move the shift lever at the back freely. The shifting rod doesn't move freely should It?

"If you still have the drive o

"If you still have the drive off then have someone shift from neutral to forward and from neutral to reverse while you watch the bellcrank at the transom mount (this piece fits into the shift rod on the drive) and see if you have equal movement up and down.

If the u-joints need grease, are they also rusty indicating water intrusion in the bellows, how does the gimbal bearing feel?"

Then it sounds like either a l

Then it sounds like either a lower shift cable adjustment or something wrong in the remote control (the gearshift) use the Stuart Hastings procedure above to check the cable adjustment.

"You got me on the hastings pr

"You got me on the hastings procedure. If you are talking about adjusting it where the cable attaches to the bellcrank i have that in mind when i get time. Adjust put drive on shift, take off adjust ...... is there another way?"

First of all you need to verif

First of all you need to verify in neutral that the bellcrank is at 90 deg (also make sure it's not bent) then you can put the drive back on and do the adjustments at the other end of the cable. Also make sure the shift rod itself is not bent. Some guys out there like to try and remove the lower from the upper while the drive is still on the boat.

"I would check that the bearin

"I would check that the bearing carrier for the prop has not come loose and moved back.
If shifting properly between neutral and reverse, most likely not a cable problem (unless remote is broken internally), but a lower unit problem.
What is the aksial prop-shaft play?"

I finally got around to buying

I finally got around to buying and installing cable . don't have drive back on yet ! The old cable casing was boken at the drive that proballt accounts for some water in there. will keep you posted

"okay ! got forward nuetral an

"okay ! got forward nuetral and reverse. No water in gear oil YEA!!! the next problem
sad.gif
now when I put it in reverse it idles fine ,give it power and the engine labors and carb back fires. ALL Of YOU WERE RIGHT ABOUT THE SHIFT CABLE !!! So what next ???? to correct this??"

"Is it only in reverse? Have a

"Is it only in reverse? Have a look at your ESA switch asm after shifting into reverse, it's possible the switch could be hanging up causing the ESA to remain active? In the pic below see how the switch rides in the middle of the notch, is this where yours is after shifting?

248381.jpg
"

"I replaced my shift cable las

"I replaced my shift cable last year and struggled to get all the linkages, switches, cables and levers synchronized. Changing one messed up another one. Eventually I found an article (Hastings) that contained the OMC factory sequence of events needed to get the cables properly adjusted. Start with step 1 (disconnect the cables)and follow all the steps outlined. It will work. Mine has never shifted better, no grinding at all into gear, just a solid thunk."

"The picture above showing the

"The picture above showing the switch actuator in the valley between the 2 humps is where it has to be at all times, the forward and reverse hump should only cause the switch to move during shifting (mostly coming out of gear in neutral) it sounds like you need to redo your shift cable adjustments. Review the info in the Hastings link above or use an OMC factory manual."

Back