Logo

Broken rudder

briang0

Regular Contributor
Took my boat out of the water

Took my boat out of the water today everything went well. Until I got home and backed it in the yard. Long story short I broke the rudder. Snapped it off. I know I need the stuffing box assembly and rudder. I removed the parts. the stuffing box measure 3.5 x 3.5 and the piece that goes through the hull is approx 2 1/8" long. The outside dia is 1 1/4" and the inside dia is 1" the shaft of the rudder is approx 8" I can't get the broken piece of the shaft out of the stuffing box. The rudder it self is 10" at the top. The blade is approx 10" too. This came off a 1974 25' Chris Craft Explorer with a BB chevy in it. I found a Stuffing box on ebay but haven't had any luck on the rudder. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Can't you push the shaft

"Can't you push the shaft down and out? That's how they normally come out. There's always some resistance from scale and other crud that builds up between the bearings, but a bit of penetrating oil and the right "persuader" should remove it.

Jeff"

I am wondering if anyone has e

I am wondering if anyone has ever had a rudder shaft repaired. I could take it to a machine shop and have it drill and pinned or even a new shaft inserted not sure if it is wise to do. Any ever tried it?

"That would be a big "NO&#

"That would be a big "NO".

Repairing the rudder is NOT a good idea. You broke it, tough luck and I'm sorry and feel your pain, because I have done things like it myself. However, do NOT put yourself and others at risk with a repaired rudder.

I happend to be at the race boat regatta in Clayton New York several years ago, sitting on the front porch of the Harbor Inn having a snack, when a big high powered Chris runabout lost it's rudder. Guess what happened?

The guy immediately backed off the power, the boat lost control and literally SLAMMED into a boat at the public dock. Lots of damage but nobody seriously hurt. Very dangerous when a boat loses control at speed. It could have rolled over.

Therefore, go to the Buck Algonquin catalog and you will find exactly what you need.

http://www.buckalgonquin.com/

Do it right, there is no need to try to find a cheap way to repair a part that takes so much stress, and is so important to the wellbeing of your passengers and fellow boaters near by.

Regards, all the best,

Paul"

I found a new rudder wow is it

I found a new rudder wow is it expensive. I have to replace the stuffing box for the rudder. My question is what do I use to keep it from leaking. There are 4 screws and the 1 1/4" piece that goes through the hull. When I removed it the material used looks like window chalk but I know its not. It was still fairly plyable and white. Can someone tell me what I can use and any instructions or tips would be great.

Yes all this stuf is expensive

Yes all this stuf is expensive but you need to find the right size of packing for your rudder. It is much the same as shaft log packing but usually different sized ptfe or gore tex packing is the best.

"Mark is right, and I think th

"Mark is right, and I think the white stuff you are referring to is the bedding compound they used when the boat was built. They still sell products under the "bedding compound" name, and the stuff serves a purpose by not totally gluing things together so tight that you couldn't get it apart like you did. If you used something like a 3m 5200 you would have NEVER been able to get it apart. Even a Lifecaulk (by Boatlife) would make it tough, but that is probably what I would use. Squish it in there, and set the rudder block in it, tighten it down, you'll never have a leak there. I would use stainless steel or silicon bronze bolts.

Regards, Paul"

Back