Logo

Olive color outdrive gear oil

rcahill31

Regular Contributor
"Getting ready for winter drai

"Getting ready for winter drained the outdrive on a cobra 1988 four winns and had olive colored gear oil I looked at the bottom drain screw with the magnet on it and no o- ring there or in the screw hole, a o-ring is on the dip stick on top, but where you fill the drive it had a white hard o-ring, when I first took the bottom screw out there was no visible water, does anyone think that with out a bottom o=ring and a abnormal o-ring on the fill screw would enough water seep in to color the gear oil, I bought this boat in May this yr"

"It's very possible, you s

"It's very possible, you should put the proper washers on there, even though you bought the boat in May....did you check the oil then?"

"Bob, thank you for your reply

"Bob, thank you for your reply, Yes it was checked and the previous owner said it been changed but he did not say anything about missing o-rings, I assumed the o-rings were there, we had other problems which are taken care of now the owner has a problem with truth. Now I going to remove the outdrive and hope there are no more surprises, I have never had a cobra drive off before so I hope it is not too difficult."

"Last time I did some work, th

"Last time I did some work, the marine guy stated that the plastic o rings were the way to go. The older black rubber one tended to get hard and disengrate."

"supposed to be plastick washe

"supposed to be plastick washers, and west marine and such has them.

Not o rings they get pressed out when you tighten the screws"

Back