Logo

Questions about a 70 Yamaha

tanbark

"Hi, Guys. I've got a cha

"Hi, Guys. I've got a chance to pick up a 70 Yam, on one of those little fiberglass jonboats, with trailer, for $1500.

The guy that has it is the second owner. He bought it with a cracked lower unit housing that happened when the original owner let it sit in freezing temps without draining it. It's been welded up. Clean job. He also says that when it's throttled up at ALL, it runs fine, but when it idles, it cuts off. This sounds like a carb problem, to me, and in fact, he said that he thinks the mix just needs to be leaned out.

I do blackwater diving, and I'll sell the boat and trailer. I figure I can get $700-$800 for them, and put that into any work that needs to be done on the motor.

Any thoughts on this would appreciated, especially from people who are familiar with older 70 Yamahas. Thanks."

"Dear Just;

Is that carb re

"Dear Just;

Is that carb rebuild doable for someone who's basically a rook, on outboards? I have an old Mariner 30, which I hear is actually a Yam, and it sat for three years with the gas in it. I DID take that carb apart, and got enough varnish out of it to re-finish a Stradivarious violin, and it works, but I'm sure that's a much simpler carb than what's on the 70's.

Can I pull the carbs and just take them to a dealer for a rebuild, to save some bucks?

And, you are a treasure for taking the time to help us so much."

"Thanks, Just; I need to get i

"Thanks, Just; I need to get it down to a landing to hear it run and make sure there's no damage to the lower end.

And, take it from there.
happy.gif
"

Back