Logo

Ignition conversion alternative

supra_maurader

"Hey kids just thought I would

"Hey kids just thought I would post up an ELETRONIC CONVERSION I did on my 85 Supra Marauder pcm 351. I wanted to ditch the points and move toward a newer technology without breaking the bank I also wanted parts availible when needed (no internet waiting for part to arrive)
I opted for a Ford Duraspark 2 setup.
This system consist of a distibutor, cap, cap adapter, ignition module and coil. Its all Ford TFI which is Fords version of (GM) HEI.
I know the purist will say "It's not marine it's unsafe" B.S. venting and the advance curve is the only difference between the two. I sealed the distributor with gasket sealer from the inside (nice and clean) as for the advance? Didn't bother the engine one bit. Pulls hard all the way to 42mph no pre-ignition and idles at 750rpm without a bobble of the tach.
Wait this is the best part it cost a hair over 100.00 dollars for the conversion, all new parts with 1 year warranties. Anyways just something for you to ponder of the off season. I'll get more into detail with the hook-up and install if anyones interested."

"I would be interested in more

"I would be interested in more information. I have changed mine over with an aftermarket kit and it still has a problem running anything over 3800 rpm's so probably will try to replace existing again. Send me some info if you do not mind, thanks!"

I have a 87 Supra Sunsport Ski

I have a 87 Supra Sunsport Skier with a pcm 351. I am wanting to switch to electronic ignition and I like your swap. Would appreciate any more info you have.

Back