Logo

Ignition Conversion Kit

rellis1962

"Hey guys,
I am new to the fo

"Hey guys,
I am new to the forum. I have a question about converting my 1987 Ski Centurion Tru Trac II from points to electronic. I have a 351 w/ prestolite snap down dist. I purchased the Sierra 18-5288 conversion kit and installed it. I had to CCW Retard? the timing considerably to get it to idle smooth. I also noticed that the rotor is a very loose fit (it wiggles quite a bit) on the nub it fits on. The engine seems to run Ok but have not had it out on the water yet. I tend to think that that wiggle is not a good thing as the old rotor is a tight fit. The old rotor will not fit in the magnet sleeve nearly as neatly as the rotor that came with the kit. Did I get the wrong conversion kit?"

The rotor should be tight. Th

The rotor should be tight. Think of how little you turn the distributor to affect timing and imagine that much movement on the rotor. Methinks you got the wrong one.

"What it looks like to me from

"What it looks like to me from this website:

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Mercruiser_Inboard_Electronic_Conversion_Kits/dm/ category_id.270821--store_id.366--view_id.270875

"Sierra 18-5288 Hi Performance Electronic Conversion Kit

Fits: Most Prestolite V-8 Hi-Performance ELECTRONIC Distributors with snap down cap." Note the word "electronic" This seems to me to be a repair kit for an already electronic distributor. What I think you need is "Sierra 18-5298 Electronic Conversion Kit

( with snap down caps )
For: Most Prestolite V-8 Distributors " if you are converting from points. Whatcha think?"

Update: I called Seirra and t

Update: I called Seirra and talked to them about my problem. They said the kit I ordered was the correct kit for converting from points. They seem to think my kit had a wrong part/rotor. They sent me a new complete kit free of charge and a UPS label to send the old one back. The new rotor fits tight and all is well. The 351w purrs like a kitten. It has well over 500 hrs and still runs strong. I have also recently done a lot of work on the cooling system and some electrical work to solve an intermittent voltage problem at the coil. Pics Soon.

Back