Logo

Water in oil help

tbone711

"Noticed some water in oil in

"Noticed some water in oil in my Mercuiser 3.0L. Changed oil and filter and ran boat to temp and noticed some very tiny bubbles coming from head area and oil started to get milky which I'm sure means water is getting in. I've been told head gasket or cracked block, is there a way to check for sure? Would cracked block be visible? Engine runs sound and oil and water temp are normal. Do the bubbles from head indicate a blown head gasket more so than a cracked block? How hard of a job is it to replace head gasket? I inherited the boat and my dad would winterize by draining engine and filling with a gallon of antifrezze, which seemed to work for him, is that enough? Sorry for all the questions but am quite concerned now as it looks like a bad start to boating season, and I have limited knowledge on subject. Thanks in advance for any advice!"

"I THINK I CAN HELP YOU AS I A

"I THINK I CAN HELP YOU AS I AM REPAIRING MY CRACKED BLOCK ALSO. I DONT THINK YOUR BLOCK IS CRACKED, IT SOUNDS LIKE JUST THE HEAD GASKET. YOUR DAD SOUNDED LIKE HE DID A GOOD JOB OF WINTERIZING BY GOING THE EXTRA STEP WITH THE ANTIFREEZE. CHANCES ARE ITS THE HEAD GASKET, TAKE THE HEAD OFF, AND IF THERE ARE CRACKS IN THE HEAD OR BLOCK ITSELF, YOU'LL SEE THEM AT THAT TIME. TAKE YOUR HEAD TO A MACHINE SHOP AND HAVE IT CHECKED FOR FLATNESS AND MACHINED IF NEEDED. IT COULD BE JUST WARPED ALSO. EITHER WAY YOU HAVE TO TAKE IT OFF, AND JUST GO FROM THERE."

"Sounds like a blown head gask

"Sounds like a blown head gasket to me. You can use a vucuum gauge to verify that if you want. The replacement, if you have room to get to them is not that bad. Pull the valve covers off, then loosen up the rocker arms so you can remover the pushrods. I would get an old shoebox to place your pushrods in order of how the came out, because they like to go back where they were, or you could have some problems. Then you will need to remove the intake manifold. Then pull the heads off. I asssume they are cast heads which are less likely to be warped as opposed to an aluminum head. Take a good straight edge and check across the head in different ares to see if it looks flat. Also check for any cracking on the heads. Once you feel your heads are good to go (And after you remove all of the milky oil from the top of the pistons reinstall them with a new gasket. Iv'e always heard you should replace all of the head bolts with new ones also. Then replace the intake and change the oil. Now of course you will need a shop manual for all of the torque values and some of the steps I am short cutting here. Sounds like you probally ran it hot which can blow them gaskets. It's not that bad of a job if you are a gearhead and don't have to break your back leaning to get to everything. Good luck with it!"

Back