Logo

1976 OMC 302 Strong gas smell while running engine

dubber002

There is a strong smell of gas

There is a strong smell of gas while the engine is running. I have gone down and checked and can not see any obvious leaks. I believe it is coming out of the exhaust and into the water. Anyone know how to remedy this? Or what its doing?

"There should be a clear or ye

"There should be a clear or yellow plastic tube going from the fuel pump up to the carb or intake, check to see if there is any fuel in there, if there is then your fuel pump diaphram has ruptured and it's dumping the extra fuel right into the engine (rather than the bilge!)"

"My fuel pump has a glass bowl

"My fuel pump has a glass bowl on it and there is no fuel in there.. Could the diaphram still be ruptured? Somehow its getting more fuel than it needs... It idles funny too, if that helps at all.. When I try to keep the idle down it stalls out. Could it be an adjustment somewhere?"

"Could be that the float in th

"Could be that the float in the carb is stuck or the valve is stuck open. This would cause the engine to load up and not run right or idle correctly. Sometimes it can be remedied with a rap to the adjustment screw on the top of the float bowl with a small hammer or a wrench. On the left side of the float bowl is a brass screw. With it removed, there should be just a slight trickle of fuel coming out at idle. If it is running out more than just a trickle, the float or the valve is stuck."

"Sorry forgot the age, yes if

"Sorry forgot the age, yes if the glass bowl is empty the pump should be fine and it could be a carb problem as Dave mentioned."

Back