Logo

StarterIgnition Wiring question

G

GW

"One more question (for no

"One more question (for now). The instructions with my electronic fuel pump has an oil pressure safety switch. The switch has 3 wires, one runs to the fuel pump and the other two are marked S and I. My question is which wires on the solenoid are the S (Starter Solenoid) and I (Ignition). This is on a 1990 4.3 litre and there are 3 terminals on the solenoid, going from memory there is the hot wire from the battery, a grey/purple (or grey white) and a yellow/red. Sorry for the brain fade on the grey wire combo."

"I have the OMC manual and it

"I have the OMC manual and it has the same diagram, so I guess maybe the memory is further gone than I thought, lol. So the question is, of the three wires on the solenoid is the S and which is the I? Right now I have the pump wired to the battery and to the purple/black wire. The fuel pump doesn't come on till you crank it enough to build oil pressure and doesn't shut off for 15 seconds or so after you shut the engine down and the oil pressure drops off. Seems as though that's the way it ought to work, but I was just trying to wire it according to the directions. That's what I get for reading them in the first place."

"I'm not sure if wiring th

"I'm not sure if wiring the pump to the I and S on the starter solenoid will give you the desired results. If you look at that diagram again at the solenoid right on the starter, the yellow/red wire is the S, this wire is only live when you are starting the engine. The purple/black wire on the same solenoid is the I which feeds 12v to the coil but again only during start up. I'm not sure about your pump though but it seems to me that you would want the pump to come on when you turn the key on and not have to crank it over to build up oil pressure before it kicks in, however the pump should not run forever either and should turn off after a few secs if the engine is not running. Do you have a wiring diagram you can post or a link to one from the manufacturer?"

"Thanks Bob,
I'll try to

"Thanks Bob,
I'll try to get a scan of the wiring for the pump posted tonight. It shows the three wires from the oil pressure safety switch, one runs to the fuel pump, one is marked I and it goes to the Starter and one is marked S and it is supposed to go to the Starter Solenoid. My inclination is that the one to the starter would go to the postiive terminal, which would be the same as direct to the battery, correct? If the other went to the yellow red that would energize the pump with the starter, correct? I may have just talked myself thru this, I'll let you know."

Glenn....if you wire it up the

Glenn....if you wire it up the way you mentioned above then what keeps the pump running when the starter is not being energized? DOes it say anywhere in your instructions that the S might be a terminal on the Alternator?

"Not sure, but if my logic is

"Not sure, but if my logic is right (lol) but, the solenoid wire may bypass the oil pressure switch and allow the fuel pump to run when the key is turned to Start. Then when the key is released it would rely on oil pressure to keep the circuit closed. Does that make sense to you? I've talked myself into crazier things (been married twice)."

Back