Logo

No Spark and at a loss

hookshurt

"We just rebuilt our 01 MP 5.7

"We just rebuilt our 01 MP 5.7L Vortec and it was running like a champ. Went out to run her last week and it died after about 5 minutes. I attempted to restart with no success and it sounded like it was out of fuel. I dumped 30 gallons in and gave it another shot without success.

The motor turns fine, plenty of fuel with the TBI, then suddently we noticed smoke pouring out from under the bracket with the ECM. We cut the power and under further investigation, the ignition coil had melted from the inside.

I replaced the coil and it still won't start. The positive lead from the MEFI relay is hot so I have power running to the coil. I changed out and checked the ignition control module, the ECM, every fuse I can think of, inspected distributor, cap, and rotor, followed the trouble shooting diagrams and can't find the issue. Oh, I also inspectted the entire harness and didn't find any issues there. Does anyone have any ideas of pieces or parts that I might have missed along the way as well as what might have caused the melt down in the coil? Thanks in advance!"

Back