Logo

RV antifreeze

"Depends if you mean for the b

"Depends if you mean for the boat like if you have a pressure water system for taps, shower etc, then the RV stuff is great as it's non-toxic. I wouldn't put it in my engine though as it has absolutely zero corrosion properties."

"Thanx Bob,So use the regular

"Thanx Bob,So use the regular antifreeze you put in your car? Do you use it straight or mix it with water?"

"if I was going to put in anti

"if I was going to put in antifreeze, I would use the Low Tox propylene glycol automotive stuff It's the same as the plumbing stuff but with rust inhibitors in it.

Don't use regular auto ethylene glycol, it's one of the deadliest poisons around and getting it in the lake is really bad.

Even the Low Tox stuff should not be released into the lake, but I would sleep nights if it happenned by accident, whereas with ethylene glycol, I would not feel very good.

I just drain my boat's engines and poke wires up the drain holes to make sure I get all the water out. Haven't lost one yet.

As Bondo says: "air doesn't freeze""

"I agree with what Hy Stat say

"I agree with what Hy Stat says about the toxic stuff unless you are able to capture it all like if your doing it on a trailer then you can let it drain into the bilge and then out the drain plug into a container to reuse again next year. If it's straight antifreeze then you need to mix it with water for the appropriate temp, if it's premixed then just dump it in."

"Don't get caught dumping

"Don't get caught dumping the green stuff in the water at start-up. Big $$$ fine.

I drain the system then backflush it with non-toxic (RV), just to make sure the coolers and pump are protected."

"Thanks to all of you for your

"Thanks to all of you for your input. I will buy a couple of gallons of Prestone 50/50 mix at -70 and put it in,then in the spring drian it in the hull and catch it out of the drian, then take it to the local garage for disposal. Thank You"

"draining it into the hull is

"draining it into the hull is not sufficient in my opinion. You will still cause unspeakable environmental damage when you dunk your boat in the lake.

I wish they'd prosecute around my area with a few big fines as Rick describes...nobody is watching the lakes here...and if they started it would be the marinas that they would hit first so the pros are the ones that would be taking a risk moreso than a DIYer

50/50 mix is not -70 protection, btw, it's about -40.

2/3 EG + 1/3 H20 is the optimum mixture and gets close to -70

Propylene is similar but has a slightly different scale."

Hy Stat

Where do you find t

Hy Stat

Where do you find the Low Tox Propylene Glycol?

Frank

"I haven't looked for any

"I haven't looked for any lately as I don't put antifreeze in my boat engines, but Canadian Tire used to carry it. Bobcat equipment dealers stock it - it's all Bobcat uses. Most Ag equipment dealers would have it too... farm equipment uses it to protect crops and livestock in the event of a leak."

I have been farming for 15 yea

I have been farming for 15 years and have never seen it before. I am going to look for it. That would be great for the farm equment.

Back