Logo

1978 johnson 35 starting problem

mary

"i've just gotten a 1978 j

"i've just gotten a 1978 johnson 35. it's always started on the first pull. occasionally it wouldn't start, i would take off the top, giggle wires, it would start and run. I ran it last year and put away. Now it starts, but only intermittantly. It started on the first pull, and then died, then would turn over but not catch. There is gas at the carbs. I put it away for a few days and tried again. It started, i turned it off then it started but didn't run very well, and then it wouldn't start again. After starting it the last time i noticed a drop or two of black oil coming out by the propeller. Then noticed a good bit of the black oil coming out a little hole on the side of the engine down low, near the propeller. I assume the two problems are not related.
Could the intermittant starting and start then die problem be gummed up carbs?"

If the engine has been sitting

If the engine has been sitting your carb. needs a good cleaning and a rebuild kit. You probably have some varnish in some or all of the little passageways and the jet.

I would also check all your electrical connections. There are not many so it is worth checking. Check the plugs going from the coils to the power pack and the bolts that secure the coil grounds. Check all your wiring insulation for cracks or tears. If you run in salt water you may want to apply a tiny bit of dielectric grease to all your connections to keep them from corroding...

AJ

also you might check your spar

also you might check your spark plugs have you changed them ? are you running last years gas and how strong is the mix on the gas the black oil could be unused oil going through the exhaust passages and bringing some of the carbon from the walls of the passages with it .

"Dude: you have to correct the

"Dude: you have to correct the wiring problem before you even try mechanical fixes. Its hard to tune an engine thats shutting off intermittently. your black alien liquid, is either raw fuel , or gear case oil."

Back