Logo

Winter is around the corner

43_viking

"Being new to diesel, I have a

"Being new to diesel, I have a pair of 671 N's on a 43 Viking. I will be in the water at Baltimore MD for the winter. Anyone out there have a quick way to winterize these engines. Do I need to load the raw water side with antifreeze or can be blown out with air pressure and use only a small amount of antifreeze. How about not winterizing the engines at all and keep the block heaters on?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Bob"

"seems like it get very cold t

"seems like it get very cold there? you need to run antifreeze in eng,s all the time winter and summer.drain exhaust manifolds after useing in winter and keep block heaters on."

"I have a question similar to

"I have a question similar to the guy with the 671s. I have a 453 detroit on my navy mk IV (1985). Getting ready for winter, it will be drydocked. Should I blow the raw water out and then fill with anti freeze? It gets 30 below zero here."

"Marv, thanks for your reply.

"Marv, thanks for your reply. It does get cold there but usually no ice on the water (Which means the bilge stays close to the temperature of the water). I do run antifreeze in the closed system but I was talking about the raw water side going through the heat exchanger. In this part of the country we can usually run until mid December and then have to winterize engines. The method usually done here is to flood the raw water side with the environmentally friendly antifreeze (Pink Stuff) cost about $5/gal. Because my raw water system is so large, I was looking for quicker and more less costly way to do this. The raw water side take about 7 gals per engine. Would just draining the exhaust manifolds and keeping block heater on protect both sides (Closed System and Raw Water System)?

Thanks

Bob"

i whould drain both exh manifo

i whould drain both exh manifolds and the raw water pump/ remove cover plate to drain. dont know if block heater whould keep raw water side safe.

Back