Logo

OMC Cobra 43L wonbt start after warmed up

cbw4x4

Last year I Hydo-locked my mot

Last year I Hydo-locked my motor. Now it is rebuilt and back in and after some tuning I have the motor to where it runs and performs awesome... until I shut it down and try to refire it. I can run the motor out of the water (unloaded) and it will start every time and run great. In the water it will start and run good but after being shut off for a couple mins to a couple hours it will crank until the battery dies. I can let it sit until the next day and it will start right up. I also have noticed that the coil gets very hot. I suspect that my problem is somewhere in the coil/condensor/wiring. Any suggestions?

Does sound like a weak coil. I

Does sound like a weak coil. I would replace the condenser first as it is not expensive. If that does not do it I'd focus on the coil. Also are you sure that you have the proper coil. Some require external ballast and some do not. Check your battery connections and the contact area where the ground cable attaches to the engine block.

"Cobras does NOT have a normal

"Cobras does NOT have a normal ballast resistor, they use a resistor wire to the coil, the coil is a 9V high output with extended center.
Do the following test:
Run the engine warm, stop and take off the distributor cap. Turn the engine until yhe contacts close, on ignition, take a screw driver and manually open the contacs. Hold the cable from coil to distrbutor close to a clean ground NOT CARBURATOR! There should be a clear blue spak jumping. If so, coil is ok.
Take off flame arrestor from carburator and check position of the choke valve plate. Hot engine, the choke should be open. If not, loosen the scews ant turn the choke housing so the choke is almost compleete open.
Try to start the engine."

Back