Logo

Nissan 99 runs good for a while

somers12

"I thought I placed this post

"I thought I placed this post a couple of days ago... but I don't see it. I'll try again.

It's a NS9.9C short shaft, 2 stroke. I start it and it runs great for an hour.It's on a sailboat, so I stop it, so I can sail. I have trouble starting it (Pershaps 5 or 6 tries), and once started it'll run for another half an hour, then stop by itself. After that... no starting. I've cleaned the carb and put a new carb and fuel pump kit on her, and checked the fuel system, and I'm running 50:1 with the oil. She sits low on the boat and runs so the water cooling outlet is below water. Could that be the problem. She purrs when she runs, with great performance.
Anyone have a similar problem? Any solutions?

Thanks for any help... Steve"

Have you checked the spark plu

Have you checked the spark plug? If it is wet it will be hard to start. You wanna see nice dry tan color. If black and sooty she is running rich. So change out the plug. My 5 HP does the same till I PUT IN A NEW PLUG. Nothing more aggravating for a sailboater to have the kicker quit while in a docking mode.

"And, that's when mine is

"And, that's when mine is unusable. I've had to approach the dock the last five times under sail under heavy traffic. Thank God I have many sailing years under my belt, but not with a 22 foot 3000 pound boat. very scary situation. Actually, both my plugs are new, but I will check them out.

Thanks... Steve"

hey guy with the 5 is it a 2 s

hey guy with the 5 is it a 2 stroke if so you got probelm the 5hp where 2nd pull everytime motor i had one the head gasket leaked slighly and it would start fine sometimes but other you could pull and pull and new plug shed fire rigt up

"Go back through the fuel syst

"Go back through the fuel system again, but it is possible that one of your ignition components is failing when it reaches a high temperature."

Head gaskets... ignition compo

Head gaskets... ignition componets? Hey guys... I'm not mechanically inclined. Sounds like I'm going to have to take her in to get serviced... at $150.00 an hour... ouch!

Steve

"Techs spend their lives learn

"Techs spend their lives learning and re-learning their craft. The dark side of forums is that they often wind up costing people money as they attempt to repair their own engines with the flippant advice of people who can't see what is really wrong. I have a lot more respect for people who know their limitations than people who don't. The national average service rate for authorized dealers is in the low $90's. We have been at $100 for four years and will be raising our rate to $110.00 on January 1st. I think you can find a shop in the $80-$90 range if you look around. If you want, I can recommend a service center in your area to you if you will post your zip code."

"Actually, I live in Calgary,

"Actually, I live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, and there's only one operating Nissan service here. And they charge $150.00 per hour. I had to buy my carb and fuel pump kit from a dealership 150 miles away because this guy wouldn't order it for me. He knew he'd be missing money installing these simple items. He's a real prick, and I wish I had a different make motor. Before dealing with him, I think I'll buy one.

Steve"

"Your next closest dealer is 3

"Your next closest dealer is 30 miles away in Cochrane.

Mountain Toys
403-932-4828

Tell them Bobby(not me) at Tohatsu recommended them as a consumer friendly dealership
"

"I contacted the cochrane deal

"I contacted the cochrane dealership when I found out the other (and only dealership in Calgary... so you know who I'm talking about) wouldn't sell me the kits. They told me that they hadn't dealt with Nissan for the last two years, and they referred me to the local idiot.

You see... basically no support. And the reason I'll probably change motors.

Steve"

yeah tohatsu/nissan dealer ser

yeah tohatsu/nissan dealer service is pretty bad now id just get a manaul and try i mean those motor are pretty simple compared to any now a days i highly doubt you have an ingition issue never seen it on those motors but just to be careful when it doesplug the plugs and plug it like you would if it where in touch the electride to the block and ppull if you see a spark then it not ignition probaly need to rebuild carb and fuel pump and change your fuels lines if hard as a rock i would get rid of her those things are bullet proof and a lot better than four strokes ill have less probelms with that. wh

that or call around to boat me

that or call around to boat mechanics and see if one will work on it chances are youll find one boat business sucks this year but honestly i would nt trust dealerships to work on my stuff i like to know what happens to my stuff

"Oh, I took it to a private me

"Oh, I took it to a private mechanic who specialized in Mercury's. Top of his class of 16, so he said. It ran when I took it to him, but when I left his place, it was in pieces and, of course, didn't run. I gave him the $50 dollars we agreed on, took the motor home, put it together within an hour had it running to the same condition as before. He put some machine on it and said the plugs were sparking as they should. (but after the engine is hot is another question) Yes, very frustrating. Let's end this thread with me on my way to buy some other piece of crap... happy in the knowledge that I now have a back-up Nissan anchor.

Thanks for your input... Steve"

sounds like a cdi did he check

sounds like a cdi did he check to see if any wires where ground out i jiggle them when i get in to this to see also try disconnecting the kill switch but if he has a dva meter tell him to check the voltage output of the stator most engines put out 300-350 and the trigger coil about 3 volt on most motors if they check out then its either a cdi unit or ignition coil in that sitition id lean towards a cdi because coils very seldom go bad

anyway report on your progress and i hope you guys get her

My Nissan 9.8A1 starts and idl

My Nissan 9.8A1 starts and idles fine. At high rpms it runs great for a little while then starts missing. When I slow the oil light comes on and is stalls. I can usualy get it started but it won't idle. I went through the carb. and fuel system ... all looked good. It acts like it's overheating but the water pump is working fine. Where is the thermostat? It seems like the water coming out of the engine is way to cool.

Any ideas ... thanks

You can download a free parts

You can download a free parts book from our website at internetoutboards.com. From that you will be able to see where the thermostat is on the engine. The pressure light is for oil pressure so it sounds like you actually have a mechanical problem with your engine. You should really run it by a dealer unless you are comfortable taking the engine apart yourself.

hey steve hows the 9.9 doing i

hey steve hows the 9.9 doing i have not heard for you im just curious i regestered hehehe but im the same bj

"Things are starting to cool d

"Things are starting to cool down majorly in this neck of the woods, and it's getting very cold to launch the boat. We have to wade in 3 feet, so I believe I've had my last sail. I'm about ready to bring her home for the winter. Burrrrr! I'm trying to arrange to test out some ideas with a 14 foot fishing boat so I don't wish I would have done some one last thing. The more I look at her, the more I like that heavy little sucker.

More, as I get more frustrated... Steve"

im sorry to hear its gettin ch

im sorry to hear its gettin chill y here to but youll get the motor going try to figure out what it aint and you will find it

"Winter did hit here early so

"Winter did hit here early so I never did get to check out the Nissan.(Hell, today is -35C with wind-chill, but it should be getting warmer soon) Boy, do they ever want a lot of money for a little fishing boat in this area, and I don't believe that I'll be able to justify $500 to the wife to test the motor.I saw another site where a fellow offered advise on a 3 or 5 hp two stroke Tahatsu with similar problems and according to him... the prop was probably turning when this fellow's sailboat was in motion, which operated the fuel pump, and thereby flooded the engine.What do you think? I don't remember if I left the Nissan in gear when I shut her down to sail, but I do remember a couple of times, that the engine wouldn't totally shut down. If this is a possibility, should placing it in neutral handle the problem, or should I try and raise the prop clear of the water. The water on the reservoir is too dirty from mountain run off to see of the prop is turning or not.

Steve"

"Here's someone who respon

"Here's someone who responded from a different site who has had a similar problem to mine, and how he solved it.

"I'm failing to understand why you haven't simply tried sailing in neutral, or reverse. If you sail in forward gear at moderate speed the prop is certainly capable of spinning this low compression, 2 stroke, no valves motor. I know because it's happened to my tohatsu 9.9 hp. This problem has a very simple solution. If you already have tried sailing in neutral or using reverse gear to stop the motor from dieseling, I apologize for the lecture, however your posts indicate that you are leaving it in gear.

Sailing in neutral is preferred. I asked my Tohatsu mechanic many years back about what gear to sail in after I had a similar problem to yours. (I was leaving the motor in gear because some dockside expert told me so and it would putter along quietly for a few minutes, then be difficult to start later on) The mechanic said simply... leave it in neutral. Problem solved. Now when I start her back up I check the filter glass, them crank it over. Starts up fine every time. If you think it's flooded, pull the kill switch then run the starter to clear out the extra gas."

See...many different opinions.

Thanks... Steve"

"And another one from another

"And another one from another person.

"Yes, leaving it in gear will cause that. Once or twice I got busy with something and did not get the engine into neutral and tipped for a minute. And it was hard to start. My normal routine, poor ingrained habit, is: kill switch, neutral, up, all in one motion practically."

I posted these last two messages to hopefully help others who may have similar problems later.

I'm finished... Thanks All... Steve"

It's not about opinions...

It's not about opinions...This is a yes or no question and what people think is not relevant. It's not possible to flood the engine this way as the float seals off the carb when the bowl is full.

Back