Logo

Winterization Question

G

Greg Reichert

"You guys have been incredibly

"You guys have been incredibly helpful in the past with some more serious matters. This one should be simple advice. Beyond the preliminary procedures - fluid changes, fogging, etc. - my 1985 four winns with a 3.0L OMC only requires that the two petcocks are opened, drained, and left open for the duration of the winter. According to the manual, pouring anti-freeze into the engine through the hoses at the thermostat with petcocks closed is only an optional winterization procedure. I did take this extra step last year, but I'm wondering if it's necessary or even helpful. I live in Michigan. Your professional advice would be greatly appreciated."

"It's not necessary if you

"It's not necessary if you're 100% sure you get all the water out. I always do it just in case a little water is left in the low places. It's cheap, easy, and good insurance."

"Exactly what Chuck says...if

"Exactly what Chuck says...if all the water is out then air doesn't freeze but what if???? I always pour some through mine for peace of mind. You can pour it in and it will come out the drains, you can capture it and re-use it next year."

"So, are you suggesting to sim

"So, are you suggesting to simply pour it through the system with the drains open instead of closing them? Do I then keep the drains open or close them for the winter as the manual suggests? Thanks again for your help."

Open all the drains on the blo

Open all the drains on the block and the manifold and drian all the water. Close the drains and pour some antifreeze into the block and the manifold. Leave it in till spring. Then you can recapture it if you like. If you have power steering it's not a bad idea to flush some through the fluid cooler as well.

I've just been draining th

I've just been draining the water and storing the boat in heated building over the winter. $60 a month and I don't worry about keeping the cover on or snow accumulating. I do wonder though if the antifreeze may help slow corrosion some.

I usually leave my antifreeze

I usually leave my antifreeze sititng in over the winter but after I fill the block and the manifolds I always crack them open to make sure I see some antifreeze pour out and then I'm 100% sure there's no water left in there. Again probably not necessary but it all goes towards peace of mind!

Back