Logo

Impeller install

gustav

"I've got a 454 MPI and I

"I've got a 454 MPI and I just ordered a new impeller from Marine Engine...The last impeller only had two hrs on it installed from the dealer.. it went to pieces...they wouldn't cover the cost of a new one...they did put a kit on it though. My questions are: Is there any tricks I need to know in replacing the old one? I took the old one off and i made sure the hose coming from the outdrive was clean from the broken pieces..Is there anything else I need to know? The dealer said to put a non petroleum based lube in the chamber for the impeller itself, is that true. Thanks, Gustav"

"2 hours? Did he check it to m

"2 hours? Did he check it to make sure there was water flow? I have the same engine and just had mine replaced. When you put the pump back together, pull the hose off the thermostat housing to verify water flow. The pump can be re-position during assembly, meaning the hoses can be switched around. Also, check the pump surface for pitting. I run mine in saltwater and had to replace the whole pump."

I ran the boat and it worked f

I ran the boat and it worked fine in the lake. It sat in storage for 4 mos. The dealer says it's from being out of the water......I'd say yeah it could dry rot if it was sitting for a year but for 4 mos under cover c'mon.... that's crap .... Mercury says they dont cover wearable parts....Thanks for the hints Thomas!

"That's B.S.. When I blew

"That's B.S.. When I blew the first motor, the impeller had been replaced 10 hours before the event. It took 7 months to get her back in the water, and I ran that impeller for another 105 hours. The only 2 times I ever blew an impeller was due to sucking up a plastic bag. I've taken care of that by blocking off the water intake on the Bravo 1 and installing a thru-hull fitting with a SS sea strainer."

Hey I have one more ?.... Wher

Hey I have one more ?.... Where the hell is the alarm located on a 99 baja hammer? When I turn my key it's supposed to beep 2 x's and it doesn't....is it the mechanism or is it a fuse? Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Back