Logo

1995 454 xli stalling

K

Kevin Waddell

"I have a 1995 Silverton with

"I have a 1995 Silverton with 454 Crusader XLi's
I have a spuratic stalling issue on one motor. It will run fine for hours, then just stumble & stall. Sometimes it will stay idling after I pull the throttles back, but usually stalls. I restart it & it runs fine again. It will do this once every trip or so. I checked all the harnesses & their connections.Tune-up's have been done as well. I suspect a fuel pickup issue? Although when it quits I can smell raw fuel on the bridge."

"Your problem is most likely t

"Your problem is most likely the carburetor. This is fairly common with a Rochester carburetor. They are a really pain to overhaul unless that’s all you do is overhaul Rochester’s. So I would not recommend doing it yourself. You can buy a rebuilt one and use the old one as a core. But for the cost and benefits I have replaced the Rochester’s with Holley Marine 4 barrel double pumpers. These are still great carburetors like the ones we had back in the Hot Rod days. On one conversion on twin Crusaders 454 engines the fuel economy improved amazingly. Cruising rpm came down while maintaining cruising speed. The owner enjoyed the sound of the engine & exhaust better as well, starting and stopping the engine frequently at the dock and chucking. The conversion is easy. If there is wedge under the old carb, keep it and use it on the new one. The choke on the Holley is electric and is hooked up to your ignition switch. You may have to modify the throttle cable bracket, but it is only a matter of cutting and filing the old one a little. The cost is approximately $600.00 US per carb. A rebuilt will cost you half or more, and you do not get the extra benefits. Take the Rochester number to Napa or similar outlet and ask them to cross it over to a “Holly Marine Double Pumper” of the same size, and engine.
Good luck"

Thanks for the response.
The

Thanks for the response.
The XLi has a throttle-body fuel injection sytem.

"Kevin,

I would start with

"Kevin,

I would start with a fuel pressure test. Most likely it will be fine since the motor runs good above idle but there could still be an issue with the fuel pressure regulator, which is vacuum operated. This problem will show up in the pressure test.

The second thing I would check are the fuel nozzles. Remove the flame arrestor and watch the fuel flow in the throttle body. It helps if you watch the fuel while shining a timing light on it. I find it gives you a better indication of the flow. If you smell fuel I would say you are getting plenty of fuel.

If the fuel flow looks good, I would check the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. This electric servo valve regulates the air (and therefore the idle) when the throttle plates are closed. This valve, located in the side of the body could be sticking or in need of replacment.

I think after checking these three items, and verifying good spark, compression and timing setting, you will have your answer.

Good luck
Rick"

"Thanks Rick,
Would the IAC a

"Thanks Rick,
Would the IAC affect it when it is at cruising speed as well? It seems to idle fine, it's at cruising speed when it quits. It's almost like someone shut the key off, & only happens once in a while. I was not real clear on that, sorry."

"No Kevin, the IAC only effect

"No Kevin, the IAC only effects the idle. I would proceed with the fuel pressure test. Obviously take a look around at the general componants. This includes all linkage, filters, wires and connectors (expecially grounds)."

"Kevin,

Did you ever find

"Kevin,

Did you ever find the problem? I have a pair of 454 xli's also and i am loosing speed every once in a while. Idle is find, will cruise fine but every once in a while I will loose rpms from 3000 to about 1000. Just changed to a new fuel tank, filters, hoses etc."

Back