Logo

OMC king cobra 58l will not start

krkoskej

"Hello All,
New member here.

"Hello All,
New member here. I have a 1992 Four Winns Liberator with an OMC 5.8L (351) King Cobra, with 4bbl Holley carb on it. The boat has always started right up on the first couple cranks. About half way through the summer it start to get very hard to start, eventually after cranking enough it starts up. Once its warmed up, it fires right up each time after. Once it cools down after about 1-2 hours, its very hard to start again. When this started to happen, I changed out the cap and Rotor and it did not make a difference. Funny thing is the flame arrestor states that it is the EEM system but at some point someone must have converted it over because it has a distributer in it with cap and rotor. Anyway, I tried changing out the plugs and still did not make a difference. I had it out about 2 weeks ago and also most had to ditch the day because I could not get it started, I finally did. After that I decided to change out the ignition coil and that did not make a difference either. Now I can't get it started at all. I went around and checked each wire and I am only getting spark to 2 cylinders. I took a wire that I knew was good and went around to each plug on the cap so I could eliminate that I suddely had 6 plug wires go and still just 2 cylinders fire. Anyone every see this and if so, what could the problem be?
Thanks
Ed"

"You've got the EEM system

"You've got the EEM system, if the coil is under the covers, it actually sits on top of the module, you will still have a dist with cap and rotor. This problem will be difficult to diagnose without the proper equipment. There are extra sensors that come into play here, a timing sensor, an anti-knock sensor, temp and oil pressure switches that can turn on SLOW (Speed Limiting Operational Warning and a rev limiter. See this link for a wiring diagram. Might want to remove the 14 pin connector on the EEM and check it for corrosion?

http://www.selocmarine.com/content/manuals/3404/pdf/340410w176.pdf"

"Thanks for the info Bob. I wa

"Thanks for the info Bob. I was afraid of that. I was confused by the manual and thought that the EEM system did not have a cap and rotor. So now I understand. Well, I guess I will check the connections for corrosion and go from there. Thanks again
Ed"

Back