Logo

1978 omc 400 tilt and trim changing

draven620

Regular Contributor
I was just wondering if someon

I was just wondering if someone could tell me how hard it is and how to take off the old tilt and trim motor to replace with a new one
}

"78 has 2 separate motors for

"78 has 2 separate motors for tilt and trim. Which one are you replacing? tilt, or trim?"

"fairly easy assuming your boa

"fairly easy assuming your boat has room in front of the engine to work. - You just unplug the connector and remove the 2 screws - they go through the motor housing and straight through into the worm screw assembly. Just watch the motor comes out in 1 chunk - it's easy to accidentally pull the brushes out with the rear plate.....and watch carefully for nylon washer and thrust bearing in case they fall out - they need to go back in. About half the time when these quit, the worm assembly wasn't greased or was under water and is all seized inside, the other half of the time it's the motor that is dead. Sometimes both. If seized worm, you'll have to support the motor with wood and remove the whole front engine mount. I've seen a few that had so much water in the worm assembly, the housing is actually broken from winter freeze."

alright thank you while im tal

alright thank you while im talkin to ya how hard is it to remove the check valve from the gas tank i think its clogged up does it just screw off.

Back