Logo

Starting engine wNO water

jmac

"In the latest issue of boatin

"In the latest issue of boating world mag they recommend starting the engine before you launch, while on the ramp, with the outdrive not in water. They state this as a general rule for any boat, regardless of engine type. I was under the impression that starting the engine (even for a short period of time) with out water circulating could damage parts. Am I mis-informed?"

No --- You are not the one mis

No --- You are not the one misinformed.
Running the engine with no water is a guarenteed to wipe out the raw water pumps impeller.

"Running an engine with no coo

"Running an engine with no cooling water, even for short periods of time, is BAD. (No lubrication for the water pump(s), no way to remove heat from around the combustion chambers, no cooling for the exhaust passing through rubber boots as it exists the boat, etc, etc.)
What's even worse than risking the potential damage stated above, is after the engine block has undergone rapid and un-even heating, then dropping it in and running it in cold water... I suppose Boating World magazine never heard of crack propugation or brittle fracture."

"Hay Bob, I dont know how to p

"Hay Bob, I dont know how to post pics in here, but I'll shoot a pic of the article and email it to you. I'll email it to anyone else if they want, or if you get the mag, it's the June 2006 issue on page 42. The article is called "Prelaunch Checklist"."

What dopey magazine is this ar

What dopey magazine is this article in?

Jeff

PS: I'd say a lawyer could sue those folks!

"If a lawyer sues them, only t

"If a lawyer sues them, only that lawyer comes out a winner.

That is incredibly bad advice, though. I wonder how long they recommend running it without water."

"Sorry to those I emailed abou

"Sorry to those I emailed about the file size. I'll quote the part of the article regarding this issue. Again, it's out of the June 2006 issue of Boating World.

"The last item on your prelaunch checklist is the most important one of all-starting the engine. Start your engine BEFORE you back the trailer into the water. Even if you did a test start at the gas station on the way to the launch ramp, start that puppy up again, right before you start backing toward the water. Splashing a boat that won't start is embarrassing, and it's a headache of nightmare proportions for you and everyone else at the launch ramp. Don't be the guy who ruins everbodys day. After you've checked all the emergency gear, run the blower, and start the engine. If it fires up, go ahead and back'er into the water, knowing your boat is fully checked and ready for action".

Thats what it say's. BTW, Boating World is the one who put "BEFORE" in cap's, not me. That's exactly how it was written.
James"

"If they're saying it'

"If they're saying it's a good idea to start it and kill it immediately, that's not so bad. If it runs for 3 seconds, at idle it would turn over about 30 times plus cranking time, assuming 600 RPM idle speed. Not the worst if there's some water in the raw water system but if it's totally dry, not great. I do think they're assuming that people with non-running boats are going to take all day to get it off of the ramp and that's just not going to happen, either because the person will get it out of there due to their own courtesy or because they are getting the message from the other boaters."

"Guys like Harves Marine must

"Guys like Harves Marine must be happy to see periodicals that will do so much to make sure they have a never ending market for their repair business.
I do have to admit, it is a lot of fun watching the guys that go so far as to shove off the trailer and start drifting down the river before the come to the realization the engine won't start.
I get a real kick out of the boyscouts that are quick to break out the 5 foot paddle and try to paddle their 3500 pound boat against the wind, the river current, and natural selection."

"That article has some other p

"That article has some other problems also. They hint that you should also start your boat at the gas station. What is the purpose of this? In addition, why would a boat start at the gas station, and not start at the ramp? They should have recommended that all boats be started before you leave your house, on the muffs. It would be unlikely that a boat would start up at home, and not at the ramp.

If you follow that article's advise you will certainly burn up the impeller, and you may blow up at the gas station."

Incredible! So much for the w

Incredible! So much for the words of "experts" (those guys who are always from out of town).

Jeff

"Chris- depending on who does

"Chris- depending on who does the service on the boat, it's entirely possible to have an intermittent solenoid, ignition switch, starter or safety switch connection. I have a cousin in CA whose boat was a total PITA because her dealer wasn't able to get it to crank reliably. They replaced batteries, solenoids, starters, etc and I went there for the holidays, spent a few hours cleaning grounds and repairing connections. It was a lot better but it still came down to a bad assist solenoid (never could understand why they needed one) that got stupid when the boat was trailered on bumpy roads. The dealers were all closed when I was there or I would have replaced it, but it had also been replaced before, apparently due to the bad ground(s)."

"My dad owns a 1973 Johnson 13

"My dad owns a 1973 Johnson 135hp OB and every year before the boating season he did it, and every time he pulled it out for the final time of the season he did it. The main reason for the initial one was to make sure he had spark before launch (turned it off after it started) the reason for the last of the year was to drain the engine of water for the winter. he replaced the impeller only 3 times since it was new in 1973(even though I'm sure it needed to be replaced more often according to the manual).

Of course they don't build em like they used to do they."

"James, don't do it. can r

"James, don't do it. can ruin an impeller in seconds. start it before releasing from trailer, I would agree with. (boat in water) cancel your subscription. and send a letter to the editor."

"Yea, I def. won't do it.

"Yea, I def. won't do it. I'll start it at home w/ the muff's like I've been doing, then go drop it in the lake! Thanks guy's, James"

what`s so hard in starting it

what`s so hard in starting it once it`s dunked still connected to the trailer winch?Even 3 sec. is too much considering what a inpeller replacement costs nowadays

Back