Logo

OMC electic shift exhuast

cap10mac

"my 1970ish electric shift has

"my 1970ish electric shift has water in the upper gear case( I understand they all do or will)I have a shaft driven raw water pump on the front of the motor as that is Tee'd into the water pump in the outdrive leading to the heat exchanger, so I have plenty of cooling water.

I was thinking what if I exhausted the risers out the transom instead of through the drive, and then removed the H2O pump from the drive would that eliminate the source of water in my gear case(and after a reseal keep it from coming back). Removing the exhaust would remove the heat through the drive, would it not hopefully eliminating the need for the drive pump to cool the outdrive.

Just thinking out loud and hoping for some feed back.

Thanks in advance"

"I don't understand "t

"I don't understand "they all do or will". My upper has no water in it. Never has. My spare stringer drive also has never had water in the upper. Sounds like a lot of engineering to avoid resealing the upper. Is your upper shimmed into the exhaust housing properly? I think not following that procedure is what causes a lot of milky uppers.
Exhausting out the transom is illegal in my area unless mufflers are added. If you have or ever want to add selectrim, the tilting of the engine is going to make a transom exit tricky. It would have to be very flexible."

point well taken....just haven

point well taken....just haven't pulled one of these apart to reseal before....

If I recall in some of your prior posts "shims" are just gaskets??....are they just regular fiber gasket material. and do you use any gasket sealer (permatex/silicone) with them?

Thank you I appreciate you taking the time to anwser.

"no, they are stainless steel

"no, they are stainless steel shims - look like "circles" or very thin washers that provide the proper clamping of the upper gearbox into the exhaust housing. Which manual do you have? I can refer you to the page number of the procedure easier than type it."

Back