Logo

Shift cable removal 1966 type M

txgalzdah

Regular Contributor
"Before we start out let me cl

"Before we start out let me claim I have completly lost my mind so you dont have to say it. Purchased a 1966 Mur-Tex Ski boat. I checked the number with Mercry Marine customer support and they informed me I have a 1966 type M stern drive. This is the beginning of a long restoration I am sure. I am in the disassembly and evaluation stage. I have removed the stern drive and am trying to see how the shift cable comes out. There is a nut on the inside of the bell housing that appears to seal the cable in the houseing. The SC bellows is in place and I am having a time getting it off. How do I get to the clamp? Would like to pull it without cutting if possible. Should the other two bellows come off first? And finally, if I disassemble the lower cable from the steering will it go through the transom plate? Initial inspection says no. Regards, Cllllord
218726.jpg
1966 Mur-Tex

just burn it and collect insur

just burn it and collect insurance money..you will spend more restoring then buying a new boat!!

Look for a small opening thru

Look for a small opening thru the side of the OD
to get to the clamp. Take pictures as you go and keep copious notes in a book with the pictues as you go. Let me know if you run into wood rot. I've done a complete interior refurb. from the bare hull and up.

"Hey Guy,
Thanks for the tips

"Hey Guy,
Thanks for the tips. The wife has allowed me to use her new digital camera and I all ready have an electronic notebook I am keeping, with two backups.
Today is boat day so I will be taking another crack at the shift cable. SC bellows = shift cable bellows.
As for rot - I have alot. The reason for taking the transom plate and bell housing off. This will be my third transom so I feel comfortable witht he work. My most important question here is the thickness of the transom. This measurement will be critical for the power plant and the Stern drive. I have an email in with Mercry Marine customer support for this one but if anyone has any experience with the early ones I will take what I can get. The mfg tag has "Kiekhaefer Mercry, Fond du Loc Wis" on it.
Thanks all for your help.
biggrin.gif
"

Back