Logo

1978 omc 400 fuel problem bogging out

draven620

Regular Contributor
I bought this boat 4 years ago

I bought this boat 4 years ago the first year it ran fine and towards the end of the year the lower unit died.Well it took three years to get fixed.Itook it out and for the first 25 minutes it ran fine and then it went from 35 mph to 10 mph.brought it home put two cans of c-phome in it and changed the fuel filter.When i went to change the fuel filter it had brown chunks in it.So i changed it and took it out the next day and same problem and same stuff in filter and ideas.Had a new fuel pump put in last year and the gas tank is non-removable put new floor over top of it help please.

What are the brown chunks? Rus

What are the brown chunks? Rust or old fuel. What I would do is empty the fuel tank take the big hose off ( the one where the fuel goes in ) and take a look inside the tank. You may have to take up your new floor or put a new tank in some where under the back seat you have one. Thats what my buddy did.

they are either old fuel or pa

they are either old fuel or parts of the fuel line breaking down.And i do have back seats but my tank is a 15-20 gallon tank.So unfortunatly i have no room for another tank it is a 1978 16.5 ft mfg gypsey star.

well changed the fuel line and

well changed the fuel line and also checked the anti syphon valve and that is also good so i tried the external gas tank idea and it still is acting the same any ideas at end of rope about ready to sink it.

"If You added the sea foam int

"If You added the sea foam into fuel, You may as well just pull down the carb and give it a good cleaning. Big risk a lot of deposits have dissolved and clogged up the carb."

I have two filters between the

I have two filters between the gas tank and the carb so hopefully nothing can get through one in the fuel line and one in the fuel pump.Changed the coil and still same problem thought about changing the condenser but i was wondering if i do change it will i have to mess with the points if so i will just take it in to get worked on.

"May sound crazy, but have you

"May sound crazy, but have you checked the compression?"

Back