Logo

OMC electric shift to volvo penta

cap10mac

"I am exploring options for a

"I am exploring options for a boat I have.1970 uniflite 23' w/OMC(GM) v-8 and an OMC electric shift. I have water in the upper gear case as a minimum problem....the unit does push the boat just fine and the engine appears to be solid

1)will a Volvo 280 bolt up to that engine at the flywheel?

2)aside from the glass work to seal up the GIANT hole from the OMC, how much would be involved in doing this type of conversion assuming the volvo will bolt up.

3) do I just keep buying OMC electric shifts and build a parts supply.
Any insight for or against would be welcome
Thank you in advance."

"1) if you get a complete

"1) if you get a complete 280 from a Chev V8 powered boat
2) steering, throttle and shift cabling, stringer/mount mods
3) I'd just get comfortable with that drive- reseal and keep a spare drive"

"Thank you HY,

I think for

"Thank you HY,

I think for now #3 is where I am leaning....I have an spare complete spare drive that needs a shaft, or at least that is what the guy I got the boat thinks...he was out and in forwarf and the prop just stopped turning.

I think the upper gear on the spare is good with no leaks... I might just use that upper and repair reseal the whole other setup.

How involved is resealing the drives, I have read the manual but never had one of these apart to see what I was reading about...I am pretty good mechanically so once i get into it I should be OK.

Thanks again for the input"

"resealing the stringer drives

"resealing the stringer drives is quite simple aside from corroded fasteners and such. Just follow the manual. If you have trucourse steering, remember the shaft seal on the steering shaft of the upper."

Back