Logo

Mercruiser 30 2003 wont crank starter issues

81keith

"So the bilge pump went and th

"So the bilge pump went and the start was underwater for sometime, it failed premature. replaced the starter and it wont click or anything. I am thinking the slave solonoid thats on the block above the starter but under the valve cover, it has two larger wires and two smaller wires, I recharged the battery, double & triple checked my connections, my trim works, so do all accessories..

Am I right with guessing this "slave solonoid" or is it possible to be the ignition switch ?"

"short the 2 large lugs and se

"short the 2 large lugs and see it if turns.
yes= power to there, check ing. switch, neutral saftey in the control handel, main engine plug.
no =no power from the main harness connections yet."

"I put a wrench to the two on

"I put a wrench to the two on the starter's solenoid and I got a lil action there, so I knew that was gettin power, the only other thing that was common sense to me was this other Solenoid thats connected in with the turn-key switch, I took the other Solenoid off and plan to take a trip to napa tommorow, after already matching a sierra marine part # to this Solenoid, I hope to be in and out and be running again tommorow.

Sound like I have hope ?"

"I also took the connections o

"I also took the connections off the igniton switch which has a 20amp breaker with it, I jumped the hot wire with the starter wire that ran to the slave Solenoid, no action, ran the same hot to the other wires, gave me hot for the horn,bilge pump, guages."

what happens when you touch th

what happens when you touch the 2 large wires from the slave together?
starter turns or it dosent.

"I took it out already, I neve

"I took it out already, I never thought to jump it there and already took it out, the inside contacted looked arc'd to hell and worn anyways.

Its my hunch that is the culprit. Wish I would have thought to jump it 1st, oh well its only a $25 part."

"Here try this

<[img]"htt

"Here try this

218591.jpg
"

Back