Logo

Need more power

hbbutler

I have a 2005 Bayliner 185 wit

I have a 2005 Bayliner 185 with 4.3l mercruiser. Great little boat for the money. I have had NO problems with it. I want a little more power. I changed the 14x23 alum prop to a 14.25x23 stainless and it overproped me a little I now only reach 4200rmp WOT. I am bone stock with a 2bbl . Any suggestions to get more ummph

4bbl and intake is the logical

4bbl and intake is the logical next step - will get you an honest 20HP

"I'm a quadrajet guy mysel

"I'm a quadrajet guy myself. I have one on my 3.8 V6 and I can cruise on plane with only the small primaries open, then the big secondaries are there for those times when fun outweighs fuel costs. If you want new, the Edelbrock 1409 is a popular one, or you can go used and a rebuild kit. I went with the latter, bought a stock cast iron intake off eBay and it made a big difference."

Whatever you find cheaper is m

Whatever you find cheaper is my suggestion.
alum not a good idea with salt water or brackish water. Aluminum a few pounds lighter.

I would have made that mistake

I would have made that mistake right there and gone for the weight savings forgetting that we get in salt about twice a year. I appreciate your advise.

"Hershel;
I'd go with the

"Hershel;
I'd go with the aluminum to save a little weight. With boats its all about weight. Every pound you can save will make it go faster.

If the 4.3 does not meet your expectations, you maybe want to consider a 5.7 V-8, or 6.2 MPI. They don't weigh much more than the V-6; but huge performance difference. And they are a bolt in replacement if your doghouse has the room in the front of the V-6.

Both the V-8's are the same width and height; they are about 4.5" longer.
The current exhaust Y pipe will match right up.
You should change your upper drive ratio to a 1.47 from your current 1.81.

Rod"

Appreciate it Rod . Don't

Appreciate it Rod . Don't think I want to spend all of that on this Boat. Think I will go bigger soon. just want to get all from that little motor that can. Thnks

If you are going to go as far

If you are going to go as far as changing the intake and carb it would not be much more to stuff a better cam in. With a new intake and carb and a cam you could get very close to 250 hp without much issue. No real tuning involved either. If you go this route call and speak with the vendors for there suggestions.

I also would reccomend an nice edlebrock rpm airgap aluminum intake and look at barry grant carbs they are priced well and they offer a spread bore design that will work much like a rochester. Allthough I do love those rochester 4bbl's.

. A couple times a year will not pose a problem. 24/7 in salt or brackish will.

I use an SS 21P x 15.25" o

I use an SS 21P x 15.25" on my 2 BBL 4.3L and get 44 MPH @ 4500 RPMs. Try a 19P x 15.25" SS prop and you'll be happy as a hog in slop. Make sure your carb is working perfect to get the most out of the engine. Do you have a 1/4" carb base gasket? Get one if you don't; your carb will atomize fuel better.

"I run 52 now with that big pr

"I run 52 now with that big prop and a hydrofoil. It ran right at 60 when new, but it was really quirky and took forever to get on plane."

Is the hull dirty or gritty?

Is the hull dirty or gritty? Needs to be like glass to skim across the water.

My boat weighs 3200 lbs. empty. I'm sure yours is much lighter. Borrow a 19P prop; you'll be glad you did.

"Put your boat info. in the sp

"Put your boat info. in the spreadsheet to find the prop you need courtesy of Rod S.

<center><table border=1><tr><td>http://www.marineengine.com/discus/icons/mime_msexcel.gif""" align=left alt=""application/vnd.ms-excel"">prop finder
[url=""][b]Copy of Boat_Speed_Finder-79780.xls[/b][/url] (22.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>"

"I ran your boat thru it based

"I ran your boat thru it based on 175 HP, 3000 lb. load and 1.81 OD ratio and it says 21P is your best bet."

Thanks all I will let you know

Thanks all I will let you know how it runs when I get the new carb and intake .And Guy its clean she sits in my garage covered when not in use .. my wifes new car sits outside. Good thing she loves her little boat also.

"Believe me; she has an alteri

"Believe me; she has an alterior motive for keeping her car outside! LOL
rofl.gif
I've been w/the same woman since I was 16 years old. Now I'm 57 and still can't read her mind.
sun.gif
"

Back