Logo

Bravo 2 stern drive wonbt go down

sharrisonrnlnc

"I cleaned the outdrive from a

"I cleaned the outdrive from all the barnacles and crud that accumulate and went out for a cruise, the left engine would not go down, neither by trim tab or trailer. I am going to try standing on it this a.m., where is the hydraulic reservoir located? any other tips, it is on a maxum 3300"

"Questions that need to be ans

"Questions that need to be answered.........

Does the trim motor work? can you hear it?

we need to know this first.

The terminology used is, You TRIM down and you TRIM up to a certain hieght. The trim switch on the outdrive stops the outdrive from raising any higher. Then you push the TRAILER button to RAISE only the outdrive all the way up for trailering......

Please try to re-explain your issue so we can help."

"OK I am catching on. Here are

"OK I am catching on. Here are the facts....The trim doesn't go up and the switch(selenoid) dosnt clcik, bought the outdriev manual at west marine on the way home...will go back with the voltage meter later today and check to see if selonoid is getting power. Thanks all."

Make sure you look for and che

Make sure you look for and check the three wire plug that plugs into the trim motor assembly. It is very common for them to come a bit loose and create a bad connection.

"all the wires look good, we u

"all the wires look good, we used a jump wire and got power and now the drive is down, we are inclined to beleive it is the trim switch in the gear shift because the switches appear to be loose in the housing, how can I check the switch, cant get it open, the new shifter is 500.00, can just the switches be replaced?"

"Yes the switches can be repla

"Yes the switches can be replaced. Two screws hold the cover in place over the switches in the commander series. Inside you'll see a small wire connector cover w/4 wires on each end. Pry it open from one side and see if the wires are not broken at the connector pins. I'll send you some pics. of what you'll see. Go here for a troubleshooting guide.

http://marine-engines.wikia.com/wiki/Troubleshooting:_Trim/Tilt_Does_not_Work"

"When you say you "jumped&

"When you say you "jumped", Jumped what?

If you jumped out the seloniod then that may be your problem.

Try not to "jump" to any conclusions and start to replace or take a lot of things apart before knowing exactly what is wrong.

These types of issues are very easy to figure out.

What you need is a 12 volt test light. Then you can check for power when activating the switch.

A cheap one only cost about 10 dollars. A very valuable tool when troubleshooting 12 volt systems."

"I used a jump wire to bypass

"I used a jump wire to bypass the selenoid and the trim switch on the shifter in order to see if it was the trim motor and it is not. It worked fine, the drive is now down. next to determine if the switch in the shifter is bad , we feel it likely is because it has become very loose in the housing, cant figure out how to get the housing apart to look. guy said there were screws but on this one there are not. i am going to take some pics today and will post tonight."

"<[img]"http://www.marineengin

"
218632.jpg
hELM PIC"">
This is our helm, I hope you can see the shifter."

It looks like the switch is in

It looks like the switch is in the shifter handle correct? It is a rocker switch correct? ( it rocks either up or down)

If you put the shifter in full forward I believe you can acess the set screw that secures the shift handle to the shift console.

But you should be able to dissasemble the top part of the handle. Been a long time for me so maybe others can chime in.

Most of my experience is with the side mount controlls. Havent had one of these apart in years.

"Learned a lot in a week. Trou

"Learned a lot in a week. Trouble shot the system and found it is the down selenoid. No click, + voltage. Any hints on how to change, the manual I bought from Seloc gives no info on replacing the selenoid. Thanks"

"It's very simple. Change

"It's very simple. Change both solenoids since they get about the same use. Remove both battery cables between the pump and the battery. Then remove the main battery ground cable. I would label the pump lines and remove them using two wrenches; one should be a tubing wrench and the other an open end for the pump base. Tape over both pump line ends. Unscrew the pump assy. from the boat floor and take it to a work bench.

There are 2 types of solenoids. One w/a flat base and one w/a standoff base which is what I believe you need. Remove the plastic cover on top of the solenoids. You'll see a common buss bar between them; remove it. Remove the 120 amp fuse w/large red wire. When reassembling make sure the base nut for each wire is tight, clean all contact points on the buss and fuse connector and the ground wires. Put a wrench on the base nut to keep it from loosening while tightening the top nut w/a nut driver. Same for reattaching the pump lines.

Just for your information, take the bad solenoid apart by prying off the base and top nuts to see what the inner workings are like. It will be fried."

Back