Logo

30 ltr Mercruiser starter bolt sheared off

robobru

"Recently replaced the starter

"Recently replaced the starter on my 3.0 liter. When the old starter was taken out, one of the bolt holes on the starter was broken and fell apart, the other hole had a crack.
Put the new starter in, checked the bolts after a couple of uses, then it started making noises.
Checked it out and the smaller of the 2 bolts had sheared off leaving the threads in the engine portion. Got lucky and managed to unthread it out.
I had used the existing bolts to mount the new starter, is is possible that these bolts could have had stress from the previous starter failing? I am concerned that the same thing will happen if I replace with new bolts. Can there be that much stress on the bolts?"

you need the rear bracket that

you need the rear bracket that supports the starter to keep from shearing those bolts. the weight of the starter and vibration from the engine combined will stress the bolts. on a three liter the rear suport is a must.
hope this helps

I would also recommend buying

I would also recommend buying two new bolts from a merc marine store and if not go to a good auto store and buy some GRADE 8 bolts to replace the originals. The originals should have a hex head that is ~ 1 inch long. If yours did not try to get those from the merc dealer.

"Thanks for the info.

Is th

"Thanks for the info.

Is the rear bracket a common item? If so, would this be available from a merc dealer and also, why would this not have been on the original starter?"

Rob Bru
I checked the other d

Rob Bru
I checked the other day for one as mine is also missing. It showed as NLA. With luck I went through my tear down parts bin and found what I think is it.
Has anyone got a photo of one not from the parts book. Mine has an awful big hole for the starter end bolt.
Bert

"I found some bolts at a Marin

"I found some bolts at a Marine service shop, they are used, but I will buy new and keep these for spares.

Send me your email addy, can't seem to get the photos attached."

"The bracket you refere to was

"The bracket you refere to was used on the large starters that aslo were used on the v8's.

The newer starters are the "mini" versions now.

If you have acess to any raw metal or aluminum stock it would not be very hard to make one up.

Here is what I could find. Item 6 Is what you want.

218626.jpg
"

"I also found this for the new

"I also found this for the newer starters

Item 13 863212 BRACKET $15.40

218629.jpg
"

Thanks all
It seems I have th

Thanks all
It seems I have the proper bracket will just have to use big washers.
Bert

"Rob
Looks to me like that&#3

"Rob
Looks to me like that's what it does. Don't know where you get one, unless someone on the board here has a spare or knows of where one is. It doesn't look that tough to fabricate one. Just a solid piece of steel at a 90 degree with a slot and a hole.
Bert"

"Hi Folks, new here and have t

"Hi Folks, new here and have the same problem with my starter in my 3.0 merc. I do have the bracket that you are talking about but just broke down last weekend. Will get worked on in a day or two but was wondering if it could have damaged the starter or flywheel when it broke loose?

Badger"

"[b]"but was wondering if

""but was wondering if it could have damaged the starter or flywheel when it broke loose?"

Ayuh,...

No Doubt the Starter is Junk,...
The Flywheel is Probably all right though..."

Rob - Tune in to Kghosts sugg

Rob - Tune in to Kghosts suggestion of going with grade 8 cap screws. 3 hash marks on the head indicate grade 5. 5 hash marks indicate grade 8.

"Just got back with my boat fr

"Just got back with my boat from a local garage. Of the two long bolts, one was sheared off and the other was bent. The short bolt that goes through the bracket discussed above was not to be found. Starter was fine as was the flywheel. Guess I'm ready for another weekend of fishing.

Badger"

"Hey Badger,

did you have t

"Hey Badger,

did you have the rear bracket on the starter? Or was it only bolted in? Wonder why this seems to be a common issue.
I will certainly be fabricating a bracket for next season, but for now, it sits all winterized and out to bed."

"Rob.......

Yes, the rear b

"Rob.......

Yes, the rear bracket was already on the starter when it broke loose. By the way the two long bolts looked when we got them out, they had been loose for sometime. We never did find the short bolt that was sapposed to go through the bracket. From what I have read here, this must be a common problem with these engines. Have a 1990 four winns 2.7 that we have had for about ten years and never had this problem.

Badger"

Back