Logo

1985 57 idle problem

1jeff1

"1985 GM 350 / 5.7 / 260?

F

"1985 GM 350 / 5.7 / 260?

First we suffered ignition problems which I believe have been taken care of. New cap, rotor plugs and wires (thunderbolt ignition). Also replaced fuel seperator, fuel filter, cleaned every electrical connection I could find and shot an entire can (while just above idle) of carb cleaner through the intake.

Starts, idles and rev's better now but still out of water to date. Lose of power was my original demon.

It first starts idleing at 700rpm and slowly drops to 500 and nearly wants to quit? Rev the motor up and return to nuetral, the idle is now at 1000, then slowly drops right back to 600 or so (takes 1 or 2 minutes or so to fully drop back). I have checked all linkage and the problem does not appear to be there. Choke seems to open fine with temp increase. Fuel is good with no water in seperator.

Any help will be greatly appriciates.

Jeff"

Have you checked the output of

Have you checked the output of the fuel pump for pressure and volume?

"Remove the throttle cable and

"Remove the throttle cable and check the throttle plate to see if the pivots are sloppy. If it runs OK and goes bad when you back off of the throttle, this could be an issue."

"The carb might be leaking int

"The carb might be leaking internally causing the engine to load up with fuel. After the idle drops down and you give it some gas do you get any black smoke? Also, the float level might be too high or the inlet valve not fully seating."

Back