Logo

NEWBY WITH OLD BOAT PROB

griff450

"I PURCHASED A 1983 STINGRAY W

"I PURCHASED A 1983 STINGRAY WITH A 3.0 MERCRUISER, AFTER REPLACING STARTER AND PLUGS I GOT IT RUNNING SMOOTH OUT OF WATER, TOOK IT ON FIRST WATER RUN AND WHEN I THROTTLE UP IT STARTES MAKING A LOUD PINGING OR KNOCKING NOISE FROM THE ENGINE AND LOSES POWER AT TOP END, IM GUESSING VALVE PROBLEM OR NOT FIRING ON ALL FOUR, NOTICED A LOT OF GOOD EXPERTS ON HERE AND WANTING TO KNOW ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I GO GET RAPED AT A REPAIR SHOP, NOT SURE OF WHAT OUTDRIVE I HAVE YET EITHER BUT WILL SOON."

JEFF DAVIS
First off check th

JEFF DAVIS
First off check the timing to be sure it's on the numbers.
Bert

"OK, I'm real "old sch

"OK, I'm real "old school", there is a way to time an old engine better than a timing light. As old equipment wears things move around a little. A timing light is great if everything is tight, if it's worn, opps, timing marks don't mean squat(ok it is a good place to start). If you can start the engine get it on the water; mark your distributer shaft position ( and make sure the points are set correctly); start the engine and warm it up; loosen the hold down bolt (with the engine running); rotate the distributer shaft a little one direction and snug it down; punch the throtle with the boat in gear and listen to the engine; if it pings a little move the shaft the oppisite direction and snug it down; try again, if it gets worse go back to the starting point and go the other direction; remember move it in small amounts. You can always go back to the starting position and play some more. There will be a point where the engine will accelerate without pinging and knocking, start easily and respond well and idle reasonably well. You just have to be patient and keep at it. My 470 is 30 years old and has never been rebuilt (OK I did change the head gasket) this is the only way it will time ( it will pull two skiers out of the water esily and run 45 mph) start easily and run cool. Hope this helps some. P.S. get the petronics ingnition convertion.
Gerald"

"Set your points first to spec

"Set your points first to spec!!!!! This is the most important thing to do and also if you have not replaced them with a new set including rotr and condensor you should also.

Of course like said a Petronixs conversion would be best!

Next set your initial timing to spec!!!!!!!!

Considering it is a 1983 and gas has changed you may want to set your initial timing to 4 degrees BTC. instaed of the original spec of (6-8 btc) I believe.

next buy some 93 octane gas and test the boat.

DO not guess on the timing. If you are forced to purchase low octane fuel and your timimg is to far advanced and you do NOT want to be adjusting it all day every day then follw the correct procedures. That Pinning is due to typically 2 things , poor gas or to advanced timing.

Let us know what you find when checking all these things"

check that firing order is cor

check that firing order is correct and plug wires aren't crossed.

"THANK YOU ALL, IM GOING TO TR

"THANK YOU ALL, IM GOING TO TRY THE TIMING TO SPEC FIRST THEN THE FREE HAND ADJUSTMENT IF THAT DONT WORK BUT IM GLAD TO HEAR IT MAT BE JUST THAT SIMPLE, I HOPE, BUT I HAVE TO CHANGE MY ALTERNATOR NOW CAUSE ITS OVER CHARGING AT 17.4 VOLTS AND ALMOST MELTED MY BAT.,IF IT NOT ONE THING ITS ANOTHER BUT I WAS EXPECTING TO DO SOME WORK WHEN I BOUGHT IT, IT GETS ME OUTSIDE AND AWAY FROM THE LADY FOR A LITTLE WHILE, ILL LET YALL KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT WHEN I GET BACK TO THE WATER AND THANKS AGAIN."

ALSO I WAS LOOKING INTO THAT P

ALSO I WAS LOOKING INTO THAT PETRONICS IGNITION AND WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO GET ONE AND WHAT MODEL NUMBER DO I NEED FOR MY MOTOR

"Use your original cap and rot

"Use your original cap and rotor

Once installed you HAVE to reset the initial timing.

BUT once done that is it and the only thing you will ever have to replace or worry about is the rotor, cao, wires and plugs. no more points and dwell settings."

I am a huge advocate of the pe

I am a huge advocate of the pertronix system but I think I would wait until you know for sure you won't be tearing your motor apart before you dump another $80-$100. Your motor should run good with the points and condensor and then even better with the electronic ignition. Do everything these guys outlined but if that doesn't help you may have more serious problems.

"GREAT THANKS TO ALL, I SET TH

"GREAT THANKS TO ALL, I SET THE TIMING TO SPEC AND WENT OUT, IT WAS WAY OFF ON TIMING BUT WHEN I SET IT TO SPEC IT STILL DIDNT WANT TO RUN RIGHT SO MY FRIEND AND I DID THE RUN AND TURN METHOD AND WHILE RUNNING WE GOT IT TO RUN LIKE A BAT OUT OF HELL, NO MORE NOCKING AND BOGING DOWN,THANKS TO ALL AND NEXT IM GOING TO GO WITH THE ELECTRONIC IGNITION"

"Now that you have it running

"Now that you have it running nicely and since it looks as if you have access to a timing light, check to see where the timing is now and record it somewhere. Save youself some work when you convert to electronic or replace the existing points and have to reset the timing."

Back