Logo

Hydraulic lines on 1975 120HP Mercruiser

fatbear

Contributing Member
"When I bought the boat last s

"When I bought the boat last spring I saw a lot of nice shiny new hydraulic lines inside and out. But I didn't notice the two remaining ones that had not been replaced. These both blew out this summer, resulting in much embarrassment, though no damage. It is difficult to maneuver when the prop is climbing out of the water in reverse and you don't know it!

So I bought the two new hoses, removed the batteries so I could lay down next to the engine (starboard side) and followed the lines beneath the rear of the engine where they disappeared from view. I don't have a mirror, but it feels like they turn and enter the outdrive. Is it possible to replace these two lines without removing the engine? And if so, can anyone tell me how?

Thanks,

FatBear"

look at the block where the 4

look at the block where the 4 lines connect at the transom. remove 2 nuts and this plate come down to replace the 2 main hoses.also replace the gasket.

"I just realized that this mea

"I just realized that this means the boat must be out of the water. I guess that's going to be another adventure. It will run forward, but the outdrive is just flapping so I cannot run it in reverse or it will climb right up out of the water. Is there a mechanical way to lock the outdrive down? Also, I wonder how I will lift it when the boat is on the trailer. How heavy is it? If I can lift it high enough I have some of those towing rests for the cylinders, but I'm an old man...

Thanks."

Along w/the rope and 2x4 use a

Along w/the rope and 2x4 use a safety support under the cavitation plate while working under it.

Back